Hi guys

I have to change my driver's side door due to a stupid accident... drove backwards out of the garage looking back through the opened door, so I don't run my wife @&%$§& Yorkshire. So the window is smashed, the door isn't closing anymore, open about 10 cm. So I got me a door with everything I'd need - but I am a computer guy - no mechanic.. Maybe anybody could give me any hint how to change the *&%$# door on an '93 3,6 AUDI V(!) 8 - NOT A8 ! Any hints would be gratefully apprechiated.

TIA Ralf

Reply to
Ralf Gauglitz

Ralf, You were running your wife to @&%$§& Yorkshire, backing up with the door open? I know....Yorkshire Terr(or)ier....you might want to attach a flag on a tall post to the dog's collar (or just back straight up - the dog and/or your wife will learn about being in the way of a 2 ton car). hey, it happens - my grandfather backed their (now my) 1980 5000S out of their garage after my grandmother put her coat in the back seat, got in the front but left the back door open. The door was folded right up alongside the car. The doors are not _that_ hard to replace - you just have to make sure that the body of the car wasn't bent in the process as well. If the V8 is a Type

44 like my '87, then the door is basically made up of 3 pieces, the inside trim panel, the window/frame/chassis and the door skin. Remove the inside trim and take off all the wiring harness connections - it would be a good idea to label them all - just like a computer, right? The door skin along with the window/frame/chassis comes free of the car by removing the bolts that hold the hinges, and then you can twist the door free of the "closer bar" or "door stop bar" that holds the door at predetermined stops. Pull off the door and guide the electrical harness out - be careful with the connectors. The new (to you) door would be installed opposite of the removal (oh how I love Haynes manuals...) - adjust the door skin on the car at the hinge, and the window/frame/chassis may need to be adjusted (it's held on by 4-13mm bolts - 2 on the sides of the door, 2 on the inside (to be covered by the trim panel) at the bottom corners. I'm sure door adjustment is covered in the Bentley Manual for the car - might be a good present from a wife whose small dog you were protecting by backing up with the door open caused the damage in the first place ("A wink is a good as a nod to a blind bat, know what I mean?") Cheers! Steve Sears 1987 Audi 5kTQ 1980 Audi 5k 1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes (SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)
Reply to
Steve Sears