Warning Chevy S-10 Owners

Page 2 of 2

Filter"
steering
month/3,000
you
Ok, so you are saying then that if a person takes their rig to Chevrolet and they fail to grease every grease zerk, they should be sued for neglect. Or is it, if you get home and don't check to make sure that they greased all, its your fault? I've been told twice on two diffferent rigs that I needed new idler arms. Why? Well, I decided to risk the drive home to see if I could tell why, and why is, as you probably already know, they were never greased. They are hard to get to, and who cares anyway? Fact is stranger than fiction isn't it?
Hatt
I know Idler arms are hard to get to. Mine get greased every LOF, I watch the person doing the job. One of the benefits of finding a small service station that still has reasonable rates, I'm paying LESS than I was at Jiffy Lube and I'm getting Mobil 1 instead of Pennzoil synthetic and I get to watch the person doing the work, not just see a couple arms coming up from a pit with a little hose in hand.
However, in the instance of the original poster's truck, it looks like there was a more serious issue than a bad ball joint, looks like there was some other problem, the cause of which may never be known. What I DO know is that my 94 S-15 Jimmy with 113,000 miles on it still has the original ball joints and they're still tight, original tie rod ends are still tight. Only steering part on my truck that's been replaced is the idler arm, 2 times. Any damage on the second one was done before I switched off JL for my service, likely because it's the hardest zerk to grease on the truck and the JL guy didn't feel like trying.

that
see
were
Fact

Well, I have a 92 S-10 with close to 200K on the clock and have maintained the truck really well. I use my truck extremely hard and I have never experienced a catastrophic failure of the suspension. Believe me, I have overloaded the truck severely many times and still no problems. But, then again, I replace parts when the need arises. All my front-end parts are replaced with quality components. And yes, I do grease them regularly. Like they say, "a little dab will do ya". At least this moron has enough sense to grease the joints and not look elsewhere to cast blame.
And you still have never answered my question of where the other half of the failed ball joint is? I'm sure since you were traveling in reverse at a slow rate of speed you should have no problem finding it.
Best thing you can do to save your credibility is to post pictures of "ALL" pieces of this puzzle instead of cherry picking the ones that you think will support your feeble attempt at shifting blame in a direction other than yourself.
Rita.

The phenomenon being talked about is fatigue. When cyclically stressed over a period of time, metal cracks starting at stress risers begin to propagate through the structure. When there is not enough remaining material to carry the load, bang!, it fails catastrophically. On inspection of the failed part, if not too heavily damaged from forces after the failure, a trained eye can spot where it started, the stress riser, how far it traveled and where it finally let go. That'll cost you a few pennies for a licensed Mechanical Engineer with metallurgy background.
However, poor maintenance and/or possible heavy use could have the contributing factor here. Mention is made of ball joints being serviced before current ownership. These elements last the life of the vehicle in many cases (if you bother to grease them so they don't get dry) but rougher roads or use do require some to be replaced. The uppers were replaced since the OEM rivets have been replaced with bolts, but were the lowers replaced as well?.
Further, looking at the pictures, it doesn't look like this vehicle was properly serviced because what I do see is corrosion everywhere including the protruding ball remains. What I don't see is any evidence of lubricant or torn bladder in proximity or on the ball. A properly maintained joint with its bladder intact would be wet somewhere once torn apart and show some shine in the mating surfaces. An intact bladder with grease would have splattered in some fashion during the rupture at failure. In the pictures, I see no evidence of lubricant anywhere. All compnents are dry and corroded.
Without more information, it appears to me a straightforward case of owner neglect.
VLJ

lubricant
some
pictures,
Nothing like pointing out facts that are "Cut and dry". And his story and the ball joints couldn't be any drier! I'm glad someone else is able to see this for what it is, pure neglect.
Rita
Fine...may God be with you!
Well rosie, I for one will heed your warning I have my truck serviced every 3000-4000 miles but who knows with out checking what gets greased.And with 145,000 miles maybe a little checking is in order. Thanks for trying to save me some grief..Pat
Wow...I can't belive I came across this. In 1996 or 97 my 89' s10 did the same thing. and I was going about 35. this happend just after I had NEW joints installed upper and lower. I hit a pot hole, big one doing about 50. about 10 miles later bag hit the ground. I blame the pot hole for it but sounds like same place it broke off at. The guy that put them on said it was the pot hole too. hell who knows, just wanted to let yoiu know it has happend before. sounds to me you could save some lives here ms rosie if this is a problem with these trucks. mine was not in the best of shape and I got rid of it after this. Could be why mine broke also i guess. maybe older s10's should be checked some how? like the other guy said it would be hard to tell if it was bad unless you could see a crack in the metal frame. and about it not being lubed it does look dry. When you take a veical in for service you neve really do know what they do or don't do fix or don't fix if your not a mechanic yourself. but any way good luck with it.
. (for a full understanding....read the entire thread) On Sat, Sep 13, 2003, 9:27am (CDT+1) snipped-for-privacy@fuse.net (RosieBaker) evidently crossposted this..........
If you own a Chevy S-10 you should see this page!
http://home.fuse.net/rickshaw/rs00013.html Your life may depend on it! ..
Rosie, read my reply at alt.autos.chev-trucks
Perhaps you should not be so blatantly liable in your accusations on such a public level..... without first researching indepth what you're web site is suggesting. Regardless of what you are, or are not, trying to accomplish with it....... it comes across very distinctly as an accusation toward a powerfull corporation.
Installer error, or substandard diagnosing abilitlies by the alignment shop........plain and simple.
best of luck with the law suit you're not building Scribb Abel
The smartest man I ever met............. Never said a word.
Yes I may have jumped the gun so to speak on the cause of this. And I feel you are right after hearing others opinions about it. I will change the web page so it doesn't sound like I'm coming down on Chevy so much. BUT! you must admit there is not much steel at that point on the control arm where this broke off at. UNKNOWING ball joint neglect does seem to be the cause (or more likely the cause anyway) But I hope I can get S-10 owners to understand the danger here is VERY real. I had no idea such a thing could happen. "did you?" maybe you did? But just think about how many S-10s are out there in the same shape as this one was. And others say the same design is on other vehicles also. Of all the people that have posted here. Yours hit home the most. Thank You. I'll start work on the web page as I close this thread.
(Rosie Baker) evidently crossposted this..........
If you own a Chevy S-10 you should see this page!
http://home.fuse.net/rickshaw/rs00013.html Your life may depend on it! ..
Rosie, read my reply at alt.autos.chev-trucks
Perhaps you should not be so blatantly liable in your accusations on such a public level..... without first researching indepth what you're web site is suggesting. Regardless of what you are, or are not, trying to accomplish with it....... it comes across very distinctly as an accusation toward a powerfull corporation.
Installer error, or substandard diagnosing abilitlies by the alignment shop........plain and simple.
best of luck with the law suit you're not building Scribb Abel
The smartest man I ever met............. Never said a word.
The truck was 10+ years old, and mine is just 10 years old now. I actually EXPECT things to start failing, especially metal parts rusting, since I'm in the Great Northeast where they use salt on the roads. Yes, it's a major suspension part, but getting to that age things WILL fatigue and break.

Great. GM just introduced the Colorado/ Canyon.
Bush
On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 12:48:43 -0500 (CDT), snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Scrib Abel) wrote:

Go's to show you FORD has a better idea!
(Rosie Baker)