What to look for when buying a used Chevrolet Suburban 6.2 Diesel 1991 mod?

Hi!
Im thinking about buying a 1991 mod Chevrolet Suburban 6.2 Diesel, but Im a little consirned about the quality of this kind of cars. The car has been driven 280.000 KM and has changed the transmition one and a
half year ago. What do you think I should look for?
I really need that kind of car, living on the top of Norway where the summer is so short that if you blink twice it might be over...
Thanks for your time, and please excuse my poor writing.
Pl
I´m not the most qualified guy to answer your question, but I can tell you about my experiences with my 1983 Surburban, also 6.2 Diesel.
The biggest problem with mine is body rust, but that is probably because the previous owner abandoned it outside near the ocean for four years. Given that, I´m pleased that there is any solid metal left at all. But do take a good look in the wheel wells and on the underside of the doors.
I have ongoing electrical problems, but the condition of the wiring makes it clear that the previous owner let someone unqualified work on it (crude untaped splices, wires leading nowhere, etc.). So I can´t blame GM for that, either.
I killed my automatic transmission, but that was my fault playing mountain goat with only 2WD working. I rebuilt the tranny and installed a temperature gauge on it so I don´t kill it again. These units have a bad reputation -- others on this list can give you more details -- and if I were buying new I´d get one with a manual transmission.
The brakes are giving me trouble, and at the least I´m going to have to replace the master cylinder. On the other hand, it´s so big that when other motorists see me coming they just naturally get out of the way. So who needs brakes anyway?
The engine itself is bulletproof. The day I took delivery I drove it home 200 km on nothing but the sludge in the bottom of the fuel tank, and the engine ran fine. We later cleaned the tank and fuel lines, naturally, and what came out looked like crude oil. I replaced the injectors, but hey, they were factory originals and 20 years old. I´ve hauled as many as 18 passengers (kinda cramped, but they fit) up and down mountain roads at highway speeds with no problem at all.
So Pål, I´d say if it´s in good shape and the price is right, buy it. I´ve just toasted to your success with a shot of good Norwegian linie aquavit, yum.
--
Warren Post
Santa Rosa de Copán, Honduras