What to look for when buying a used car?

I'm buying a fender bender/Fixer Upper as a Winter Beater. Anyone have a good web link that shows what to look for when buying a used car? Thanks

Reply to
stevelibert

The old saying: Brakes Exhaust Lights Tires Steering

I might also add engine and transmission. If you can drive it, feel the transmissions shift, and listen to the engine for knocks, noises, and check all the fluids for unusual colorings or leaks. I dont think there's a website for this. Someone should make one though.

eh, my .02

Reply to
ed

Is it merely coincidental that the first letters of these words spell "belts"? Good acronym to remember them by, whatever the original intentions were! s

Reply to
sdlomi2

Reply to
Wm Watt

Cars from the SouthWest, where it is HOT and VERY dry, will suffer form anything that is detritus to rubber... in other words; seals, bushings, weather tracks will rot-out.

The NorthEast, where they have heavy snow, and thus heavy salt applied to the roads, will suffer from body damage due to rust.

So, it depends on were you are buying your car from.

Good luck, Dave

Reply to
DaddyMonkey