1991 integra battery light

my battery light in my integra keeps coming on. At first i thought it was the battery not being able to keep a charge, so i replaced the battery. Now with the new battery in there it still comes on and i dont think it
will hold a charge anymore. I just put it in there right now and let it run for a few minutes and the light came on. What do you think it is??

If you have a voltmeter across the battery, you should see about 14.5V with the car running. If you don't, the battery is not being charged. It could be a slipping belt, dirty battery contacts (including those from the battery to ground or engine to ground) or the alternator.
i took the negative terminal off of my battery and the car died. I hear that is a sign of a need for a new alternator

That was not smart.
You may have caused damage to everything from your alternator to your coil.
The electrical system needs a ground. The negative cable supplies that ground. Remove that and nothing will work.
You don't know much about what you're doing, do you?
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

Not good -- That used to be the way to tell on the old cars to see if your alternator/generator has a problem, but not the thing to do with a newer car. You may now have done damage, but let's hope that you didn't.
Go to Sears, spring for a cheap digital voltmeter, learn how to use it (should takes 5 minutes). Set it to voltage, range 20V and measure across the battery with the car running.

Does it flicker, go on and off? Did it start out flickering then eventually go solid?
If so, it's the alternator brushes. Cheap fix. New brush holder is $20 at the dealer. You can replace it without removing the alternator. I can give some tips.
If the light was, and is, on solid all the time, then listen to remco.
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
I was told by the guys at the parts place to try the negative terminal. If i rev the car over 3600 rpm the light go's off. then i drop it down and it turns back on. I can get a cheap reman'd one for 50 thru a buddy, i will do that then if it isnt the brushes
I was told by the guys at the parts place to try the negative terminal. If i rev the car over 3600 rpm the light go's off. then i drop it down and it turns back on. I can get a cheap reman'd one for 50 thru a buddy, i will do that then if it isnt the brushes

Sometimes the money is more important than the labor (been there), but be aware rebuilt starters and alternators have a bad reputation for reliability, especially in Hondas. If money is pretty tight, go for the rebuilt. Otherwise a new Honda alternator is the way to go.
Mike
it comes with a 3 month warantee, so thats not bad, i dont want to be paying 300+ for a brand new one on a car that has 279,000 km's