[1994 GS-R] Antenna Stays Up

I have the subject auto and the power antenna stays up all the time. I do hear the motor "whir" for several seconds but there is no movement of
the antenna mast.
Is it difficult to remove the necessary trim to access the antenna motor?
Is the running motor a good sign and only the antenna needs to be replaced?
What do I need to know to proceed with this repair?
I followed TeGGeR's links and discovered the motor was ~$240USD, so I want to avoid that amount if possible.
How much would the dealer charge to perform the installation on top of the part?
Thanks in advance,
PB
I have the subject auto and the power antenna stays up all the time. I do hear the motor "whir" for several seconds but there is no movement of the antenna mast.
Is it difficult to remove the necessary trim to access the antenna motor?
Is the running motor a good sign and only the antenna needs to be replaced?
What do I need to know to proceed with this repair?
I followed TeGGeR's links and discovered the motor was ~$240USD, so I want to avoid that amount if possible.
How much would the dealer charge to perform the installation on top of the part?
Thanks in advance,
PB I had that happen to me as well. likely need a new power antena moter the moter has a gear that meshes with another. thats probably stripped inside changing the moter should cure it.
--
johnin

Yes.
The dealer will only replace the entire antenna/motor assy if the old assy will not accept the new antenna moastdue to the broken end remaining in the motor assy. They consider the assembly a non-repairable part.

Generally,the plastic linear "gear" from the antenna mast is what breaks and a piece(the end of it) remains in the motor housing.You can unscrew the old antenna mast without accessing the motor and pull it out to to see if that's what's broke. You just unscrew the retaining nut using a pin wrench,or needlenose pliers(carefully).It's not hard.
To access the motor assy,you have to pull the plastic trunk panels on the driver's side;I haven't tried that. I suspect the plastic retainer plugs will be brittle and break when you try to remove them.(on an old car) I have the new antenna mast,but there's a 8" piece of the mast's linear "gear" still in the motor(I know this by comparision to the new part) that has to come out first,and I don't feel like working on it in the hot and humid Florida weather.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

You shouldn't have to replace the motor if it's working (which it appears to be). You can replace the fiber antenna shaft, purchased much more cheaply than the motor. The teeth are stripped on yours, an extremely common failure.
This may help:
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/replace_antenna_mast.jpg
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

On my 94 GSR's antenna,the mast is raised and lowered by a white plastic linear gear inside the collapsible sections(IOW,a toothed plastic strip),which the last 8 inches had broken off and remained in the motor housing.(preventing me from simply installing the new mast.)
It was $70 USD for the new mast from the dealer.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
TeGGeR wrote:

to extract the antenna mast further. Is it also likely to have perhaps oxidized and is seized a bit since it is the first removal and the car is a 1994? If so, what is the safest method to remove the antenna without causing collateral damage?
As always, many thanks,
PB

It ought to pull straight up and out if you're pulling while the motor is running so as to extend the mast.
Try pulling more firmly as the motor is extending the mast. It may well have a slight coating of corrosion or dirt on it.
Can you get the mast to *retract* if you push on it while the motor is attempting to lower the mast?
Can you see if it's possible to remove the motor and remove a side-plate to gain access to the gearbox?