an electrical Problem and a Cosmetic problem

Hey guys Iíve got a 1990 Integra GS, with 140Ks, and i love this car, but Iím having2 problems:
I start my car to go somewhere, i park, it wight or might not start,
everything lights up, i wait sometime 5 minutes, sometime 2 hrs, iíll put my key in the ognition and voila!, like there was never a problem. But when Iíve been in a rush, if i get a jump start, itíll start right away. Keep in mind that when i wonít start, everything lights up fine, I know iíve got battery (or @ least i think so); and when i turn the key, nothing, and i mean nothing happens, not a single noise, is like i donít have anything under the hood.
2nd Problem: Does anyone know where i can get all my weather strips replaced, i have so many leaks my carpet is starting to look funky, and Iíve discovered MOLD under the passenger seat. Iíve got a major leak behind my dasboard on the passenger side, someone told me could be the A/C vents, is this true?
Iím new here, So thanks in advance.
‚úĖ

Do you hear a click from the viscinity of the starter? If so, your starter might be bad. If not, do you have any kind of alarm installed that has the ability to disable the car? Are you proficient with a multimeter so we could talk you through troubleshooting?
Remco
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
"whybcuzremove" wrote: > > I start my car to go somewhere, i park, it wight or might > not start, > > everything lights up, i wait sometime 5 minutes, sometime 2 > hrs, i'll > > put my key in the ognition and voila!, like there was never > a problem. > > But when I've been in a rush, if i get a jump start, it'll > start right > > away. Keep in mind that when i won't start, everything > lights up fine, > > I know i've got battery (or @ least i think so); and when i > turn the > > key, nothing, and i mean nothing happens, not a single > noise, is like > > i don't have anything under the hood. > > Do you hear a click from the viscinity of the starter? If so, > your starter > might be bad. > If not, do you have any kind of alarm installed that has the > ability to > disable the car? > Are you proficient with a multimeter so we could talk you > through > troubleshooting? > > Remco
nope no noises at all, like i said, is like i didnít even have an engine, is the weirdest thing. And no Iím not familiar with that equipment, but my brother might be, heís always messing around with his Civic, heís no expert though, so he doesnít know what the problem is.
But if you guide me on what to do, Iíll get it done, and we can troubleshoot it that way, hopefuly.
Thanks again
Oh!, and no, no alarms or kill switches.
‚úĖ
Just a safety warning first: be sure to disconnect your battery wires first before you disconnect and clean anything!! Since you are new at this, it might be a good idea to wear safety glasses in case you accidentally short something: The voltage being only 12 to 14V, it will not shock you, but will cause sparks to fly that could throw bit of metal in your eyes.
I am assuming you don't have a "vehicle disable" alarm system. I am also assuming your brother knows how to check for voltage across described points.
Try starting the car by putting it in neutral if it is an automatic car. If it starts, the switch inside the shifter is bad.
Make sure that all your fuses and fuseable links are ok. I don't have the specific schematic to your year, but one fuse is usually labled "IG", "IGN" or something similar -- make sure that one is indeed ok.
Put a voltmeter across the battery terminals. It should read 12 to14 volts. Try and start the car - the voltage may drop, but it should drop much lower than about 10V or so. If the voltage drops more than that, try starting the car with booster cables. If it starts, your battery can't deliver the current to start your car - replace it and see if that fixed it.
Get a piece of wood (a short length of 2x4) and a hammer. Put one end of the 2x4 on the starter, try and start the car and whack the other end of the 2x4 with your hammer. No need to break the starter, so dont hit is hard enough so the case bends. You just want to mechanically shock it while you start it. If it starts, chances are that your starter is bad. Even so, check connections to the starter, etc. Most likely you will need a new starter.
Again, being very careful not to short anything, with a multimeter set to measure at least 12VDC, measure across the fattest connection (usually a thick wire, sometimes the thickness of a pinky) of the starter and to the the engine body. You should see 12V here at all times, regardless whether the key is in or not. If you don't see this voltage, the fat lead does not make contact somewhere between the battery and the starter -- it should be a direct connection, so clean both sides - battery and starter end - and check it again. Before you disconnect anything, disconnect the battery (see safety warning above).
Turn the key to the start position and keep it there, while your brother measures the following: On the starter, measure the voltage from the other (less thick, most likely) contact to the engine body. When the key is turned to start, you should see 12V here. If you see 12V here and the car does not start, you starter (actually the relay on top of the starter) is bad and the starter may need to be replaced. Before you toss the starter, disconnect the battery connections first and clean the connections going to the starter by loosening the nuts on top of the connections and cleaning them with some fine sandpaper.
If you don't see 12V, there are several things that can go wrong, depending whether your car is automatic or stick. Report back with your findings.
Hope this will point you in the right direction. Remco
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
Btw, the assumption in the procedure is that you are checking the car when it isn't starting, right? To check it while it starts will not help you.
Since it is an intermittent problem, it might be tricky and requires some discernment: i.e. "if the car starts, was it what I just did, or was it due to me jiggling a wire??"

first
will
If
"IGN"
volts.
lower
the
the
2x4
somewhere
so
you
likely)
see
depending
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
Sounds like th einfamous Main Relay problem of the Honda Accord - maybe the Integra has this too. http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/startproblems.html#mainrelay MZ

http://www.autoforumz.com/Acura-electrical-Problem-Cosmetic-problem-ftopict112217.html
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
The wet passenger side is most likely this. I had the same problem, fixed it myself.
http://www.g2ic.com/tegtips/interior/15.html
MZ wrote:

Add pictures here
‚úĖ

the
The integra does have one of those, but the car will still run the starter even with that relay bad so that's most likely not it. Remco
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
Ahh, missed that. Could be the contacts on the solenoid - on my Toyota they need to be replaced occasionally. Cheap and easy fix. MZ

Add pictures here
‚úĖ
"martinzed" wrote: > Ahh, missed that. Could be the contacts on the solenoid - on > my Toyota they > need to be replaced occasionally. Cheap and easy fix. > MZ >
> > &nbsp;>> Sounds like th einfamous Main Relay problem of the > Honda Accord - maybe > > the > &nbsp;>> Integra has this too. > &nbsp;>> > http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/startproblems.html#mainrelay > > > > The integra does have one of those, but the car will still > run the starter > > even with that relay bad so that's most likely not it. > > Remco > > > >
WOW! the replies are overwhelming, thank you, thank you, thank you all, for all the responses, I just printed the whole thread out, and Iím going to keeo some tools in my car for when it acts up, Iíll check on these.
Again thank you sooooooooo much.
And BTW i got the response from the leak i got on the front passenger side, but i still have a major pool with fish and all in the rear where the spare tire goes, and even the rear seat (passenger side) is getting wet underneath, any ideas on what it might be, and if so, what solutions; i was going to replace the weather strips all around, but i canít find them, and ACURA no longer carries them, and i donít know what to do.
Thanks again
‚úĖ

Trunk leaks are often around the taillights, and those seals should be available (and a bunch cheaper than the lid weatherstrip!) If you drain the pool and fry up all the fish, you can run a hose on each taillight and see if either or both are leaking.
Mike
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
"michaeltnull" wrote:
> > > And BTW i got the response from the leak i got on the front > passenger > > side, but i still have a major pool with fish and all in the > rear > > where the spare tire goes, and even the rear seat (passenger > side) is > > getting wet underneath, any ideas on what it might be, and > if so, what > > solutions; i was going to replace the weather strips all > around, but i > > can't find them, and ACURA no longer carries them, and i > don't know > > what to do. > > > > Thanks again > > > Trunk leaks are often around the taillights, and those seals > should be > available (and a bunch cheaper than the lid weatherstrip!) If > you drain the > pool and fry up all the fish, you can run a hose on each > taillight and see > if either or both are leaking. > > Mike
Hey Mike or anyone ...care for some fish, LOL!
Anyways, Iíll try that, but anyone knows where i can find the weather strips anyways, thanks ...
‚úĖ
"p3dro" wrote: > WOW! the replies are overwhelming, thank you, thank you, thank > you all, for all the responses, I just printed the whole > thread out, and I'm going to keeo some tools in my car for > when it acts up, I'll check on these. > > Again thank you sooooooooo much. > > And BTW i got the response from the leak i got on the front > passenger side, but i still have a major pool with fish and > all in the rear where the spare tire goes, and even the rear > seat (passenger side) is getting wet underneath, any ideas on > what it might be, and if so, what solutions; i was going to > replace the weather strips all around, but i can't find them, > and ACURA no longer carries them, and i don't know what to do. > > Thanks again
Check the tail light seals. My sonís car had this problem in a heavy rain. We found that water running off the rear hatch was draining down on the tail lights. The seal between the tail lights and the hull was bad and allowing water to get into the trunk area.
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
"hasheriva" wrote: > Check the tail light seals. My son's car had this problem in > a heavy rain. We found that water running off the rear hatch > was draining down on the tail lights. The seal between the > tail lights and the hull was bad and allowing water to get > into the trunk area.
Any idea where i can get parts for my integra, anywhere besides the dealer, my local dealer doesnít carry anything for what i can tell.. Thanks guys
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
"p3dro" wrote: > Any idea where i can get parts for my integra, anywhere > besides the dealer, my local dealer doesn't carry anything for > what i can tell.. Thanks guys
Well guys, just wanted to thank all of you for your help, i ordered the tail-light seals, and the other windshield selas, Iíll install them this weekend, hopefully, thatíll be it..
Also my not starting problem, seems to be the battery, i bought a new one, and so far so good, but Iíll have to wait a while, cause is not a constant thing, is every once in a while, in the meantime Iíve got some weird noises and stuff coming from what i believe (and remember iím the dumbest when it comes to cars) is probablyu the power steering, or maybe its pump, not sure but iíve got a crazzy grinding noise, almost like a real loud boiling noise, that it starts like 3 minutes after the car has been on, or if i turn it on, and Iím in a rush, and donít have time to warm it up, the second i turn my wheels, it starts.
Thanks for all your help guys
Add pictures here
‚úĖ