Heat sheild??

I just bought a 92 Acura integra RS 2D hatch mint condition. The problem is when I shift up I hear a rattle and I was wondering is it easy to take off by my self or should I go to an auto shop and have
them take it off or tighten it for me. Im kind of new at this and I know that you guys might know more about this than me. Another question is if I do bring it to the autoshop how much would it cost?

There are a number of heat shields on the exhaust, and their prices vary from about $20 to $50 each. They rust off at the attaching bolts.
There is also one in front of and one behind the exhaust manifold. Replacing the rear one requires unbolting the manifold from the head, and the danger there is that one of the studs will break off, making for a major headache.
It's easy to determine which one is making noise. All you have to do for the ones underneath is to raise the car, get underneath and wiggle/tap them. The rattler will be very apparent.
If repair is required, this can be achieved several ways: 1) Pull them off. Cheapest, quickest way, but not the best. 2) Replace. Best, but most expensive way. 3) Clamp in place so they don't rattle. You can usually successfully use large hose clamps to this end.
As to how much it will cost? You'll have to find out exactly what's wrong first. It might not even be the heat shields.
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ