should i take my TL in for service b/4 indicator light comes on?

Hi i got my new TL 3 months ago. i now have 4800 miles on it (90% highway driving) and the oil level is still at 50%. should i take it in for oil change even though the maintenence indicator hasn't come on
yet? TIA
sam
I asked the same of my dealer when I put about the same amount of miles on it brand new. He said no just follow what the computer tells you.

Murph wrote:

Oil Level?.... you mean the computer rendition of how good your oil is? How the H-ll would a computer know that?
You'd be smart to have the oil AND filter changed immediately. If you want to keep the car running well, ignore the manual and dealer rant. You should have been advised to change the new engine break in oil at around 3K. Use a good quality oil and filter every 3-4K and you'll be a happy camper. Late model engines have much tighter tolerances than older stuff, that's the reason for lighter 5w30 oils. Tighter tolerances mean higher pressures on various engine parts. The oil additives usually wear out before 5K miles (and I don't care what they tell you). If your oil gets dirty, change it, with the filter. It's cheap insurance! You can change to synthetic oil after the engine has around 15K miles. If you follow this rule, I can guarantee you your oil will be as clear as water after 3-4K miles of driving. The trans should also be also subject to an occasional pan drain and refill to keep the pressure additives refreshed.
best of luck

Read your Owner's Manual that is in your glove box. It will tell you when to bring your car in for its first oil change. If your car is like the '06, your Maintenance Minder will tell you to get the oil changed once the Oil Life readout gets down to 15%.
The car's first oil change is the most important, as the factory fill must remain in there for a certain duration. I can find no specific maintenance table in the '06 Owner's Manual, so I can only guess Honda has entrusted the entire job to the Maintenance Minder.
After the first change, it is certainly a good idea to get the oil and filter changed every 5,000 miles or six months, or whenever the Maintenance Minder tells you, whichever comes first. If you want to change the oil even more often, that's an even better idea.
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ