1993 90CS A/C Compressor making HORRIBLE noise...

Sounds like a kids toy lawn mower or when you put a baseball card inside the wheel of a bicycle.
Audi wants 1800 to fix it :|
Any other ideas or just live with out A/C?
Thanks
Erik

Are you absolutely sure that the noise is comong from the compressor? Your description of the noise sounds much more like a leaf, or other obstruction, caught in the ventilation fan.

Try someone who isn't Audi?
--
Skipweasel
Never knowingly understood. (Ivor Cutler)
Erik wrote:

replace/recondition it. In the UK it's quite common for Audi dealerships to farm out AC work to outside companies anyway.

Out of interest - is that 1800 USD, 1800 EUR, 1800 GBP, 1800 Flanian Pobble Beads?
--
Skipweasel
Never knowingly understood. (Ivor Cutler)
Audi said they disconnected it and the noise never comes back now. The cost is in USD. Now the other problem I am having is that the car just goes DEAD..nada, nothing...rarely when I am slowing down and going into a turn. Oddly enough it only does it when I slowing down to like 10-15MPH.

I had a car do that once. Turned out to be a loose battery connection.