1996 A4 - should see a quick and discrete red light flash in every infrared key ?

One of the keys of my GREAT newly acquired 2.8 has a visible red flash when I press the lock/unlock button. (when I look directly in the little light)
The other no. This means it is dead ? (key looks never used and batteries are fresh and in correct position) TIA, Jorge Fonyat