2.7T Gas Mileage

I am a recent owner of a 03 2.7T and am getting about 18 mpg. I am running premium gas and most of the driving is highway. The computer claims I am getting an average of 21.6. Does this sound right? If not, what can I do to improve the mileage? Thanks, K

Reply to
Ken K

That's probably right unless it's a diesel. Audis suck gasoline.

I don't know the specifics of your car, but some of them can run on cheaper gas with no ill effect for light driving. Fill up with 87 or 89 (US grades) for weekday commuting then put in 91 or 92 for the weekend trip out of town.

Reply to
Kevin McMurtrie

I live in New England, and have kept a mileage-tracking spreadsheet on all of our vehicles (for god only knows what reasons ;-) Over its life (I've owned it since brand spanking new), my S4 has averaged an actual 20.56 miles per gallon, while the computer-calculated mileage has indicated an average of

21.50 mpg. Not too bad an error rate (4.39%). All fuel used was at least 91 octane; and I'm guessing most of those miles were using 10% ethanol.

The vast majority of my S4 mileage has been on the highway, usually cruising at around 85mph in top (6th) gear.

Are you driving an A6 S-line, or ? I expect the 6er is heavier than my car, which might explain some of the difference...

Cheers

/daytripper '00 s4 6spd

Reply to
daytripper

keep the revs to around 2000-2200, no hard acceleration or high speeds up through the gears.

keep tyres at the correct pressure.............

reduce air con/climate control running..............

Reply to
tpow

Well, that's a little below the EPA estimates of 18/25, but, of course, that's the old estimate that doesn't reflect real-world driving like using the climate control, headlights, etc. Any codes stored in the car? You can get that checked at Autozone for free. Might not be a bad idea to make sure there is nothing going on that might not be generating a CEL. I'm not sure how the computer calculates the mileage but the old 'divide the elapsed mileage by the number of gallons' is the best way to calculate it. My computer seems to read a little high.

In my car I have averaged 22.78 mpg since new, 80% around-town driving.

Dan D '04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6 Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58

"Ken K" wrote

When was the last time your sparkplugs and engine air filter were replaced? If it's been a while, you may want to replace them. 18 mpg seems a little low, but then again, it depends on how fast you drive.

Pete

Reply to
Pete

Check the owner's manaul or the gas tank fill door to confirm the 2.7T needs a minimum of 91 Octane fuel. Being a twin turbo engine with knock sensors, filling up with a lower grade fuel will definitely reduce gas mileage and performance. Lower octane fuels also increase risk of clogging up the fuel system as well as increasing emmissions which is harder on O2 sensors, EGT sensors and all four of the the expensive catalytic convertors.

What is the vehicle odometer mileage?

Recommend a VAG scan to see if there are O2 sensor or EGT sensor codes. Failing O2's and EGT Sensors will reduce gas mileage. I replaced both front O2's at 80K KMs on 2.7T, they are primary feedback to ECU for auto adjusting A/F mixture. VAG-COM supports tests that can be performed to check responsiveness of O2s, they can become sluggish with age before triggering DTCs and CELs.

Reply to
K04-S4
  • Kevin McMurtrie:

Not unless used in a country with low fuel quality. Remember that these engines are developed with European ROZ95/98 in mind and have to be modified/limited (electronically and/or mechanically) to run somewhat reliable in countries that have inferior fuel quality standards than western Europe.

Benjamin

Reply to
Benjamin Gawert

"Benjamin Gawert" wrote

Are you saying all Audis sold in the US have to be modified in order to run reliably here?

Are you aware of two different formulas used around the world to calculate the octane number?

Regards, Pete

Reply to
Pete

I have a 2000 A6 2.7L twinturbo. I use 93 octane. My mileage is about

21-22 from a mix of local and highway travel. When I average just the highway then the mileage seems higher ~25 and if it is local then it falls to ~19. Once my average went to 17 or 18 even with enough highway travel from 21. This went about few weeks and my car starting shaking and I had to turn it in to a mechanic (decent one) and he found lot of deposit on one of my valves. he opened up the engine, replaced it and costed me a lot of money. I would recommend spark plug change and engine cleaning to remove any deposits.
Reply to
Vk
  • Pete:

I assume "here" for you means the US? If so then yes. The fuel quality in the US is much lower than in western Europe. The Audis (and VWs and BMWs and Mercedes) that are made for the US contain specific modifications to run reliable with that low fuel quality.

Benjamin

Reply to
Benjamin Gawert

Anecdote time. Back in 1981, I was living in New York, and owned a Camaro. I went to live in England, taking the Camaro with me. I expected the numerical miles per gallon to increase by roughly 20%, since the imperial gallon is 20% larger than the US gallon, and my driving mix was similar. In fact, it actually increased by 44%. A year later, I went back to the US, and the mpg dropped back to its former value.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Thompson

"Benjamin Gawert" wrote

Can you provide links to some documentation on this subject? It's not that I don't trust you. It's just that I'd like to find a valid source if this information.

Thanks, Pete

Reply to
Pete

Hello Pete

In European Union, Iceland, Norway and Switzerland diesel fuel must meet EN-590. More here:

I know for gas[oline], there is also such a norm, but have to look up the EN number first.

Reply to
H.D.

My 2000 A6 2.7T generally gives in the low 20's when at highway speed (~ 70). City driving in the upper teens. The nice thing about a relatively small V6 is that it will do well with gas mileage at cruising. The MPG depends on how much you engage the loud pedal (turbos). The power is there when you need it (to pass, etc.) but a large displacement engine is not being pumped when not needed. Your mileage may vary..

Reply to
Bruce W. Ellis

"Bruce W. Ellis" wrote

You call low 20s good gas mileage at cruising? Maybe for a 5-liter V10 engine. Most modern V6 and I6 engines can do much better these days.

Don't get me wrong, I know this 2.7tt is not your ordinary V6 and it lots of fun, but good gas mileage is not one of it's strong points.

Pete

Reply to
Pete

VWs lack the high top gear that gives Japanese cars their good milage. It makes them more responsive but it costs dearly in cruising efficiency.

Reply to
Kevin McMurtrie

"Kevin McMurtrie"

Add to that the permanent awd system in that A6 2.7T which also negatively affects mpg, both from the mechanical and added weight perspectives. My

530i gets 30 mpg (US) if I cruise at 70 mph.

Pete

Reply to
Pete
  • Pete:

I don't have a link by hand. There once were some articles on a oil company website that discussed that stuff but I can't remember the link.

You can for example compare the European fuel standards (EN228 for gasoline and EN590 for Diesel) with the equivalent US standards and you'll see that the European standards are much tighter.

Besides that, if you have access to maintenance/part documentation you can compare the specifications for US and European models of certain cars. I.e. the last Volkswagen Passat with 1.8l Turbo engine (20 valve) was sold in the US with 130hp while the European version had 150hp. This was done because of the lower fuel quality.

There are other differences as well. German-made cars sold in Western Europe usually conform to the German standard which means the car must run reliable even when driving at maximum speed for a long time. Overseas versions which rarely get driven faster than 55-80 mp/h often come with downsized cooling systems, brake systems and other things which save the manufacturer money and have no influence on safety or reliability in countries with general speed limits.

Benjamin

Reply to
Benjamin Gawert

"Benjamin Gawert" wrote

The 1.8T never had 130hp in the US. It had 150hp initially, and then 170hp in later years.

Pete

Reply to
Pete