a4 mods most bang 4 the buck?

Page 2 of 2

Not much, any car will roll when just releasing the clutch without using the throttle. It's meant to get the feel of it.

Just move your foot on the clutch without resting it on the floor.
Ronald

This is how shifting gears is taught in motorcycle safety courses, and very effectively, too.
if you pass your driving test in an automatic here in uk you arn't legally allowed to drive a manual. but its pretty rare as the larger percentage of vehicles here are all manuals. (who said the brits were lazy..)

TBH what you are saying only really applies to OFF ROAD use, for standard driving you should never need, or be driving on the limits anyway.
A chip will increase throttle response, reduce turbo lag, and improve the 0 -60 a bit, if he asked how can I take my car faster in the bends then your post would have been relevant, I think TOP GEAR in the uk summed up driving Audi's very well, a quattro vs a BWM M3 which was rwd was laughable watching the guy driving it round the track, the Audi driver had his stereo on listening to classical music while the BWM guy was back ending it everyhwere doing power slides into corners and the times were equal. The reason you buy quattro is that it can make a bad driver good and a good driver better, but I doubt you can teach someone whos been driving 10yrs anything "amazing" that he can use on the road.
The M3 on the other hand is a different ball game, and it takes skill to drive one, and balls of steel to drive it fast, this would be a great car to have an instructor to teach you.
Ron
My experience on a '98 A4 1.8TQ.
Difference is really obvious if you do the following:
1.- Get a reputable chip - or if you get a repro make sure you keep the stock program in a safe location. 2.- Stay away from replacing your stock DV valve - unless defective. I compared stock to 710N and stock provides way more boost in my car - now apparently this is different with the latest 1.8Ts. 3.- Get a J N75 - big improvement on smoothness and strength of boost delivery - no more hesitation when flooring in 5th gear at 2,000 rpm..
Before I had those mods done I felt ashamed of my 1.8T low performance. Now the car feels decent.
If I wanted bigger gains, I'd go the K03 sport turbo route, maybe K04 and reprogramming. Of course, you can get nearly as many HP as your wallet wishes for with this engine.
As far as brakes, a few kind people here suggested using the A8's OEM rotors, which I'm considering when I have to change mine, especially as they'll probably be cheaper and better than many combinations.
My two cents.
JP Roberts