Insurance cost for custom mods on a Ford Focus?

Am looking to buy a used Ford Focus for about £3,000 to £4,000 to use as a runabout. Most important is cost and reliability.

I've seen a few nice custom Focuses in owner's forums and the price isn't about the same as a standard car. (I don't actually want custom mods but may as well have them.)

For example:

The problem is the extra cost of insurance.

Is there a list which shows what's the very rough cost of extra insurance on a Focus for improved brakes, bigger/wider wheels, different carb, uprated suspension, or whatever.

Is it an extra 5% or an extra 20%?. (Just to let me know if I'm in the right market.)

Reply to
Eddie

Hehehe, that's the least of that car's problems.

No.

Heheheh. The answer is "it depends".

It depends on the insurance company, where you live, how old you are and how long you've had your licence, etc etc etc.

If you'd be willing to drive a car like that I'd guess you are under 30 (this could be my prejudice coming into play), in which case you'd probably be paying in the extra hundreds to insure the modifications.

Buying a car with no MOT that someone else has butchered is not the way to low cost reliable transport or cheap insurance in my opinion or experience.

If if floats your boat, go for it.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Then buy a standard one in good condition.

Modded cars are very frequently worth a lot less than standard and tend to be less reliable. Partly as a result of the variable qualilty of parts and workmanship , and partly as people that do that to a car are more likely to have thrashed it everywhere.

Oh dear god , no. I'm all for some tasteful changes to a standard car to personalise it , but a butchered bodge job that the owner has given up on is a very bad place to start.

For a big long list of changes like that , expect anything up to 50% on top of what a standard car would cost you.

Reply to
Dr Zoidberg

Then don't buy that butchered shed you sent a link to. Seriously, don't. =A31500 with no MOT and butchered to f*ck?

Why? There's absolutely no reason if you don't want them.

Depends how old you are. I'm 35. Having a wider stainless exhaust, HKS Induction kit, aftermarket alloys, a strut brace and roll cage cost me no extra on my Eunos.. I was 35 at the time though with full NCB. If I'd been 21 I somehow don't think it would have been the case.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

It depends. I managed to insure a 2.8 V6 Capri with stage 3 engine, performance exhausts and manifolds, uprated and lowered suspension, modified brakes, modified fuel injection, strut braces, stripped out interior for £30 more than it cost me to insure a standard 2L Capri.

But then again, I'm the thick end of 40, have nearly two decades of no claims and clean licence and don't live in a car crime area.

Reply to
Conor

If you want a faster, better looking, bigger braked, big wheel focus, you know you should buy a Volvo S40. All the good bits of the focus, none of the bad ones.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

I would guess that the bonnet would fetch £300. Other than that, it looks relatively grim, with few parts that are worth a lot.

I would expect those sorts of modifications to be relatively costly to insure - they're on the wrong car, and they're the wrong sorts of modifications. If you were looking at something that's less of a chav magnet (pretty much any recent Vauxhall or Ford is going to be a boy racer special if it's modded), older, and modded towards genuine performance, then the insurance is fairly cheap with the right people.

Mostly because insurers recognise that the owners have a lot of time and money invested in the cars, and are quite likely to repair it themselves if they have an accident. However, most of those sorts of cars also change hands for decent sums of money - a 1.8T MK2 Golf with a nice selection of bits fitted will easily change hands for north of £3k, which probably double what a standardish but tidy GTI would sell for.

Reply to
Doki

If you're planning on junking the injection system for a carb I would suspect you're better off leaving it standard...

Reply to
Pete M

You want to buy that!

Reply to
slider

And the car had only had about 100bhp.

Reply to
slider

I somehow doubt that even Conor could manage to lose 60 bhp by fitting performance parts.

Reply to
Pete M

The 2L Laser, yeah nearly.

Reply to
Conor

It probably had 100BHP from tickover up to 3k when the cam kicked in.

Reply to
Conor