A6 T2.7 low gas milage

I borrowed a friends 2003 A6 Quatttro turbo for a couple of weeks and took several short trips in it. I got about 26-27 MPG at 75 MPH on level roads. I
just bought my own 2003 A6 Quattro turbo, with lower mileage (55k vs. 75 k) than my friends, and I am only getting about 21-22 MPG on the same trips, also at 75 MPH.
Other than checking the plugs and air filter, what do you suggest I look at for the cause? The car runs fine by the way, and seems to have plenty of power.
Thanks,
Don
Don Gunn wrote:

- Tire brand and inflation pressure - Oil type and weight - fuel grade - weather conditions and wind speed / direction - variables in filling the tank - your engine temperature sensor may be inaccurate - MAF may be out of spec - pull your ECU codes

Low to mid twenties is what I get with my 2000 A6 2.7T with 6 speed manual at 75 mph. Actually that is pretty good mileage for a heavy car. I suspect that there is something out of whack with the friends A6. Odometer, tank not filled, etc.
I'm surprised at the 26-27 MPG. Your numbers (21-22) are more like it.

I agree. Overall 65-80 mph mileage is about 24 mpg on my 2004 A6 2.7T S-Line with Conti ExtremeContact at 40 psi.

Don Gunn wrote:

You can also suspect the breakes. Jack the car and spin the wheels - if the wheels are tough to move - it might be your problem.
Also possible problem is the wheel alignment. If severed toed-in/out, you would see it on the MPG reading.
Check the lambda reader as well ( will show up if you read the error codes)