Audi A4: suspension damage after only 35K

Page 4 of 5
DTJ wrote:

It doesn't count when the cars you're racing are actually parked on the side of the road, or is using cruise control. The other driver needs to be *driving* for a race to count.
Since a 1995 Honda Accord represents the cutting edge of automotive performance, maybe you should try your highway speed theory this May in Nevada.
http://www.silverstateclassic.com /
Vic 1997 A4 2.8q 2000 Mustang GT
On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 19:30:47 GMT, Victor DiMichina

There are remedial English classes for people like you. Try one, you just may learn enough to get out of grade school.
DTJ wrote:

The best reply you can come up with is based on my typo? I guess that's about all the imagination one could expect from an Accord driver.
Vic 1997 A4 2.8q 2000 Mustang GT ...and a few others.

Welcome to the wacky world of German reliability: some of the most mundane long established car components simply fall apart. Even the Korean brands have surpassed VW-Audi and MB in relaibility. Go figure.

If you want to keep the car, get used to this nonsense.

ah........uh....hmmmm, i ah, um, could be guilty of driving habits similar to his, lol except i have an auto tip, so i cant bang the gears like a stick, i did have the opportunity to drive my friends wife's 2001 a4 5 speed. at first i wanted the stick but for my and the vehicles own good im glad i ended up with the auto. during the short test drive i went on in her car, i noticed that when shifting it hard the car made a nice bang from the rear end. now i guess i know how my noise came about.
On 3 Apr 2004 18:14:23 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@pobox.com (Chris Campbell) wrote:

You are comparing an audi piece of shit with a Honda. What do you expect?

I saw you on the weekend, in my rearview mirror.
Honda, Nissan and Toyota are about the same and none are interesting. A couch on four wheels. You want boring and not great cars for driving? Go Japanese.
On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 17:34:25 GMT, Cam Newton ( snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com) wrote:

I am sure you did. Probably saw me as I flew past you, too. Me, I never notice the piece of shit german cars broken down on the side of the road.

No really, I mean it. I bought an A4 two weeks ago and was doing about 110 km/h on roads that I could only do about 85 km/hr in my Accord. And I was at the limi at 85Km. With me in an A4, you would definitely be in the rearview.
Fine, if you prefer the mundane. There are NGs for you: alt.japansese.cars.wakemeup etc.
I looked at Infiniti, Lexus and Acura. None of them are close the A4 let alone an A6, S4 or S6. I didn't bother with BMWand MB because the AWD are over priced. The G35X is 10 years from being competitive with the A4.
The last time I drove a new Accord and Camry I thought I was going to die. I didn't and bought the 4.
Now go away.
snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com wrote:

I definitely prefer the 2000 S4 over the 1996 A4 that I traded in for it ;)
On 3 Apr 2004 18:14:23 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@pobox.com (Chris Campbell) wrote:

Who says those purveyors of FWD crap have a "performance heritage"?
(Chris Campbell)

You've got a point there. The A4 is nice, but is it that much nicer than a Jetta with the exact same engine? I don't know. I almost bought a Jetta, but I don't think I'd drive either a Jetta or an A4 very hard. There's a fine line between aggressive driving and abusing your ride. :) If I really wanted to, I could probably torque the motor mounts of an A4 2.8 manual. But I think I'd have to deliberately TRY to do it. I can't imagine shifting that hard in everyday driving, but that's me. -Dave

You can say whatever you want about current-day Audis but to deny their heritage is just uninformed or dumb. Don't you consider the pre-War Auto Unions or the 80's Ur-Quattro very much part of a "performance heritage"?
--
Ignasi.
(using SPAM trap e-mail address)

Um, no.
DTJ wrote:

Hmmm... then you're pretty much an idiot, then. I've never owned an Audi (and may never, but who knows) but to flat out deny cars that revolutionized racing because you don't like them is ignorant.
nate
--
go dry to reply.
http://www.toad.net/~njnagel

DTJ, an idiot? Wow, you're the first person to ever think that!
</sarcasm>
His singular opinion on what constitutes a racing pedigree is funny. But Honda drivers are often a little soft in the head when it comes to discussions about cars. After all, he thinks his Accord is some sort of performance machine, LOL!
I love it when the Honda boys spout shit like "Performance/dollar" or "HP/normally-aspirated liter" like those things actually mean anything to anybody but other soft-in-the-head Honduh owners. Next thing you know, they'll start up with the Consumers Reports crap.
--
Jonesy "Owned a Honda, once - that's all it took."

(Chris Campbell)

LeMans? Ever heard of it? Big race, in France, I think. Oh, and something about rallying. Maybe you're a NASCAR fan and haven't heard of these other, minor forms of racing.
Last I heard, Audi's N. America market gets about 95% or so vehicles with AWD layout. Maybe you're still annoyed that the car mags prefer the S4 and the RS6 to just about anything made by your spinning-propeller brand. Three cheers for i-Drive, huh?
--
Jonesy

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Jonesy) says:

I couldn't care less about the BMW/Audi part of this argument, but anyone who can't figure out I-Drive is just plain dumb.
    -Kenny
--
Kenneth R. Crudup Sr. SW Engineer, Scott County Consulting, Los Angeles
H: 3630 S. Sepulveda Blvd. #138, L.A., CA 90034-6809 (310) 391-1898
Kenneth Crudup wrote:

Personally, whether it's intuitive or not, the whole concept of I-drive is somewhat unsettling to me. IMHO the functions of a car should be controlled by switches, relays, and wires, and if the wiring harness gets too unwieldy, perhaps it is time to think about cutting back on the gewgaws.
nate
--
go dry to reply.
http://www.toad.net/~njnagel