Audi A6 CD player errors

My Audi A6 is quite old now and the CD player is playing up more and more. We often get ERR1 and ERR3 displayed on the player in the car and one or all CDs will not play. Usually ejecting the cassette and
replacing it sorts the problem out but increasingly this solution fails to work. I doubt I can afford to buy anything new. Is there anything I can do to help this?
It's the 6 CD changer type where the CDs are in the boot/trunk.
--
(\__/) M.

Maybe this manual will be of some help: (Amazon.com product link shortened)
i suspect you'd get more useful responses if you post at least year of the car, better yet more specifics about your exact model as i suspect the electrical for us of a V8 4.2 is somewhat different from that for euro 1.8t (yes, they actually DID put a sub 2.0 liter engine into the home market A6 at some point)

It's a 1999 A6 2.4SE Avant (UK model). I expect the manual link you posted is for US models only which are different in many respects. There does not seem to be any decent manuals available for UK models!

Most of the UK models have tiny engines!
--
(\__/) M.
On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 09:09:59 +0100, against all advice, something

It's probably dirty. Get a drive cleaner (CD with a little brush on it) and run that through. It worked on my TT.

That is a possibility. However the problem affects only some of the CD's in the cartridge (slots1-3) so I had assumed it was not a lazer problem.
--
(\__/) M.
On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 09:02:50 +0100, against all advice, something

Your stated difficulty is exactly what I experienced. I'm fixed now.
Oh, and the Interweb notes that home burned CDs sometimes don't work in the system. You might look into that.
--

Howdya like that... we started playing guitar to impress the chicks and wind
up talkin' fingernails with old men.

I suppose that depends on CD-Rs you use though ATA DVR-109 (could be 108) in my tower at home is nearly useless on the current crop of the disks.
See http://www.cdmediaworld.com/hardware/cdrom/cd_quality.shtml#CD-R%20Quality%20vs%20CD-R%20Compatibility http://www.summationtechnology.com/dvd-player-compatibility-chart.htm
though some of that might be old and biased
I doubt even TDK stamps their own CD-R media these days. Most likely it's the us army style subcontracting to the lowest bidder type of thing now.

Thanks. I'll give it a go.

They are all commerical CDs.
--
(\__/) M.

Why would you want to subject the originals to the rigors of car use is totally beyond me. Dup them to a CD-Rs, once CD-Rs go sour from in car use ditch them and make another copy. Lather rinse repeat.

Indeed, not just for scratch risk but theft cost of replacing them too [1]. I now replace any original stereo use one that'll play off an 8GB USB stick. Several hundred tracks, no scratching, and if they nick my USB stick I've lost 10.
It also keeps me a lot more legal as it also connects to my phone via BT for handsfree calling too.
[1] And some are irreplaceable.
--
Jon B
Above email address IS valid.
On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 09:20:59 +0100, snipped-for-privacy@jonbradbury.com (Jon B) wrote:

In the UK it is illegal to rip CDs and copy to a USB stick, MP3 player or make a CDR copy.
--
(\__/) M.

Likewise most of the world, but I doubt the record companies are going to come chasing down for that just yet...
--
Jon B
Above email address IS valid.
On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 14:29:51 +0100, snipped-for-privacy@jonbradbury.com (Jon B) wrote:

I'm sure they would if they could.
I understand some countries have "fair use" exceptions which allow people to make backup copies.
--
(\__/) M.

I tried the drive cleaner. It has not made any noticeable difference. Even a brand new CD is jamming (ERR3) today.
On Sat, 07 May 2011 11:50:53 +0100, against all advice, something

http://www.audi-forums.com/c5-forum/41889-cd-changer-err3-problem.html
That's all I know. Wishing you good luck.

Thanks for the help. unfortunately this does not work.