Audi A6 CD player errors

My Audi A6 is quite old now and the CD player is playing up more and more. We often get ERR1 and ERR3 displayed on the player in the car and one or all CDs will not play. Usually ejecting the cassette and replacing it sorts the problem out but increasingly this solution fails to work. I doubt I can afford to buy anything new. Is there anything I can do to help this?

It's the 6 CD changer type where the CDs are in the boot/trunk.

Reply to
Mark

Maybe this manual will be of some help:

i suspect you'd get more useful responses if you post at least year of the car, better yet more specifics about your exact model as i suspect the electrical for us of a V8 4.2 is somewhat different from that for euro 1.8t (yes, they actually DID put a sub 2.0 liter engine into the home market A6 at some point)

Reply to
AD

It's a 1999 A6 2.4SE Avant (UK model). I expect the manual link you posted is for US models only which are different in many respects. There does not seem to be any decent manuals available for UK models!

Most of the UK models have tiny engines!

Reply to
Mark

On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 09:09:59 +0100, against all advice, something compelled Mark , to say:

It's probably dirty. Get a drive cleaner (CD with a little brush on it) and run that through. It worked on my TT.

Reply to
Steve Daniels

That is a possibility. However the problem affects only some of the CD's in the cartridge (slots1-3) so I had assumed it was not a lazer problem.

Reply to
Mark

On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 09:02:50 +0100, against all advice, something compelled Mark , to say:

Your stated difficulty is exactly what I experienced. I'm fixed now.

Oh, and the Interweb notes that home burned CDs sometimes don't work in the system. You might look into that.

Reply to
Steve Daniels

:

ying up more and

player in the car

I suppose that depends on CD-Rs you use though ATA DVR-109 (could be

108) in my tower at home is nearly useless on the current crop of the disks.

See

though some of that might be old and biased

I doubt even TDK stamps their own CD-R media these days. Most likely it's the us army style subcontracting to the lowest bidder type of thing now.

Reply to
AD

Thanks. I'll give it a go.

They are all commerical CDs.

Reply to
Mark

y:

aying up more and

e player in the car

Why would you want to subject the originals to the rigors of car use is totally beyond me. Dup them to a CD-Rs, once CD-Rs go sour from in car use ditch them and make another copy. Lather rinse repeat.

Reply to
AD

Indeed, not just for scratch risk but theft cost of replacing them too [1]. I now replace any original stereo use one that'll play off an 8GB USB stick. Several hundred tracks, no scratching, and if they nick my USB stick I've lost £10.

It also keeps me a lot more legal as it also connects to my phone via BT for handsfree calling too.

[1] And some are irreplaceable.
Reply to
Jon B

In the UK it is illegal to rip CDs and copy to a USB stick, MP3 player or make a CDR copy.

Reply to
Mark

Likewise most of the world, but I doubt the record companies are going to come chasing down for that just yet...

Reply to
Jon B

I'm sure they would if they could.

I understand some countries have "fair use" exceptions which allow people to make backup copies.

Reply to
Mark

I tried the drive cleaner. It has not made any noticeable difference. Even a brand new CD is jamming (ERR3) today.

Reply to
Mark

On Sat, 07 May 2011 11:50:53 +0100, against all advice, something compelled Mark , to say:

That's all I know. Wishing you good luck.

Reply to
Steve Daniels

Thanks for the help. unfortunately this does not work.

Reply to
Mark