CD player for 1997 Audi A4

Two years ago I bought a new 6 CD changer from Audi for my 1997 A4. I tried to get a third-party product, but could not find one compatible, so I had no choice but to buy from Audi.

Now, one year out of warranty, the changer is dead. It flashes NO CD on the radio display. Audi will happily sell me another changer, for $500, which is outrageous. (First they lock you in, then they sell you junk, then charge a fortune for a replacement piece of junk.)

Any ideas on:

- How to fix the changer.

- How/where to find a used replacement.

- A way to get music in my car again, either CD or MP3, for under $500?

Thanks.

Jack Orenstein

Reply to
Jack Orenstein

Just buy anything you like & fit it in, you can get adaptors to fit virtually anything into the Audi wiring, you may then need to get the on board electrics to accept the new system, just depends on the year, something like the vag-com interface & software should do the trick,

Steve.

Reply to
Steve68s

I would be cautious about relying on any VAG tool or emulator to control radio settings. The early head units were notoriously difficult to communicate with...

I'd look for something that is "plug and play" with the '97, or at worst require the attachment of a protocol convertor...

/daytripper '00 s4 6spd, unbadged oem panasonic changer

Reply to
daytripper

You, me, and every other 96-97 A4 owner, buddy. :)

The 1997 A4 has the Delta CC radio. There is *no* aftermarket changer that will communicate with that head unit. There is *no* adapter that will allow the Delta CC to talk to an aftermarket changer.

If you're really attached to the head unit, you can use an RF unit with a remote control, but that's the only option besides buying the OEM changer. Otherwise, installing a non-OEM changer means installing a new head.

IMO, your best bet is to swap the head unit with a decent mp3-capable unit and forget about the changer. If you have a head unit capable of playing mp3 data files, having a changer is just redundant.

Reply to
Pronto Breakneck

OK, I'm willing to buy a new head unit. My local audio place says that the Bose speakers are self-powered, and that I have to get a compatible head unit from Bose or Audi. Or I can get the head unit, AND speakers and pay for installation of everything.

Any other ideas?

Jack

P.S. I contacted Audi customer relations about all this. They won't do a thing. I called, sent a letter (real paper! no email), and they turned me down each time. This lockin is ridiculous, their attitude is horrible, and I am quite sure I will never buy another Audi.

Reply to
Jack Orenstein

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 23:19:26 GMT, Jack Orenstein quoted me fully before saying

Pronto Breakneck

Really? I have never understood this idea that if EVERYTHING is not

*picture perfect* on a complicated piece of equipment, then you just chuck the whole thing.

The audio portion is such a small thing, after all. I agree that it should work correctly, and shouldn't have proprietary bits. But since that's not going to happen with this Audi, then you work-around.

1.) (Already mentioned) RF changer. Alpine makes one. My sis-in-law has one in her 80q. Works great, sounds good, was inexpensive. 2.) (Already mentioned) mp3-capable head unit. A better choice, *if* you have a bunch of mp3s of your music. 3.) Aftermarket head unit and changer. $$$ 4.) Worst choice of all - the one you took. An expensive, barely functional unit that has already been a source of some problems.

In the end, it's your money. I don't know why you're mad at Audi - the car *is* out of warranty, after all. Shit breaks, man - that's life. Take your year-out-of-warranty Honda to a dealer and ask for them to replace a $500 part gratis, and see what happens. Of *course* they are going to turn you down. All of them, not just Audi.

Spider

Reply to
Spider

Just fit a Car PC :) mine works great

Ron

Reply to
Ronny

If that doesn't work out, contact

What's wrong with the Audi reman exchange program? I got a unit less than 6 months ago, $110 exchange.

BTW, RF changers suck.

JPF in a 1990 V8. Blaupunkt Toronto head unit, with a 10-disc Blaupunkt changer. Running the factory Bose "powered" speakers. And they say "It can't be done." It literally plugged into the factory harness. I had to add key-on power. I did lose the factory station display, however. I'm crushed.

Also with a 1987 5KCSQ and a Sony head unit running the factory powered speakers. Remember, "it can't be done!"

Reply to
JPF

Thanks for your response.

They show no head units available for a 97 a4 with bose sound.

My problem is knowing what will work in my car and what won't.

What is this program? I'd love to get a cheap used changer or in-dash unit.

You mean, the ones that broadcast over FM? That's what I've heard.

How do I find out whether a given head unit will work?

Jack

Reply to
Jack Orenstein

Really. Hey, I'm a software engineer, and I understand that complicated devices will never be perfect. It's their attitude that has completely pissed me off: We have gone out of our way to engineer a system in which you must buy all components from us. We are going to charge a huge premium on these components. The components happen to be crap, so we will give you a tiny warranty. And if anything breaks, well, you have no choice but to pay us again, which is just what we planned.

This is what I'd like to do. I've just discovered that all head units, (at least those at my local electronics store), are incompatible with the Bose speakers, because they are self-powered, (I think I've got that right).

The changer is 2 years old.

Jack

Reply to
Jack Orenstein

Asshat, did you read the article that I gave you the link for? It contains step by step instructions for installing any standard head unit into your car.

Reply to
Pronto Breakneck

Ron, how did u manage to get that setup? ive got an audi A4 1.8T 1997 model in Canada. Got the regular tape deck and hate it. Wanted to change it for a cd player but now im in love with ure car pc - i must have something like it - can u please tell me where u got the parts, especially the screen and software. Did u create the housing yourself?

thanx, G

Reply to
Mr DJ

I'll second that. Very nicely done!! Care to share some technical details/howtos?

Cheers,

Chris Mauritz