Brake Lights Problem

I drive a 1998 A4 1.8T and when my headlights are on my brake lights do not work. The thrird brake light does work but the other two don?t. Anyway if anyone has had this problem or something similar and know how to fix it that would be awesome. I really want to avoid taking it to the dealer because they will charge me up the ass. Thanks

Reply to
TCCdestroy

Just make sure you are using the correct bulbs in the brake light sockets. If the sockets are for both the taillights AND the brake lights maybe the bulb is not installed correctly or is the wrong bulb.

Do those brake lights ever come on or are the bulbs burnt out? fuses?

Just a theory! ;-) later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

TCC - you might take the money out of the place where the sun don't shine that the dealer would have charged you and invest in a set of Bentley Manuals. The wiring diagrams are your best friend in troubleshooting electrical problems - that's what the dealer's techs would be using. This problem sounds like the wiring problems I used to have on my 1980 5k - turn signals would activate the dash lights (solution: corroded front parking light/turn signal socket), or on my 1987 5ktq - no dash lights (solution: incorrect licence plate bulb wattage). The Bentley Manuals helped with both cases. Cheers! Steve Sears

1987 Audi 5kTQ 1980 Audi 5k

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:

Steve Sears

I tried replacing the bulbs and the same problem occors, the fuses are good although it might be wired through some strange circut...but everything else seems to be working.

Reply to
TCCdestroy

TCC, Dare I ask......do you have a trailer hitch on the car? It sounds like a problem with the parking light/brake light circuit - you'll probably find a problem where the two meet - like in a 1157/2057 light bulb socket. Cheers! Steve Sears

1987 Audi 5kTQ 1980 Audi 5k
Reply to
Steve Sears