Flickering Dash Lights & headlights when they are on too.....

A few months after I bought my car (used 2000 zx3), the odometer / tripmeter illumination (with no headlights, audio or other acc. on) flicker at stop, or while driving. This happens worse with lights on.

Recently, one headlight went out, and 1 month later the other one went. Could this be related to the problem.

Last night I talked to a Ford mechanic (and a friend) and said that it is probably a bad ground somewhere. But the fun part is that there are over 200 grounds in the car. EEEK!

He suggested the taillight and headlight grounds, and the ecu ground. I checked these and they are ok.

Are there any issues where there may be a specific problem ground that is reported often of "losening or degrading"?

This car also has a keyless entry system that is not functioning (when I bought it). I told him I checked all the fuses visable in the fuse panel. He laughed and said the panel has fuses on the back side too (or behind the main panel, I have to look into this when the sun comes up). He said, "that it is a blown fuse. And that the power door lock actuator jammed and tripped the circuit." I checked all the fuses I could find and no blown fuse.

The Dome light does not light up either.

A few weeks ago my backlight to my lcd odometer was not lighting up. A few days ago it started working.

I have a bad rear motor mount on the engine, the engine vibration has been getting worse in the months I have not been able to repair. $$ (Tuesday that issue will be taken care of at ford dealer). But the odd thing is that the flickering started after the vibrations started, and got more frequent and worse as the mount was degrading. ???? hmm.

Any help on the subjects is greatly appreciated.

Reply to
John Smith

"John Smith" wrote

You need to get a complete wiring diagram. (unfortunately it was not included in my factory service manual, so I borrow one at my local dealer and read it there). The trick is to go over the diagram and locate a common source for all your problem areas, probably a multi-prong plug, almost certainly under the dash. Of course, a good technician with lots of experience in Ford electrics will probably know it without even needing to look.

Your mechanic friend isn't likely to be able to pinpoint the problem in his head, unless he specializes.

The vibration from the engine is setting off your bad connection, but that's the only relationship between the two.

Reply to
Dave Gower