burning odor

What could be some causes for suddenly smelling an odor of burning rubber or something similarly acrid? This comes and goes, it's not constant, and it just started yesterday.
98.5 2.8 A4

In my case, a plastic carrier bag stuck itself to the exhaust.
Nasty, and quite hard to spot (it also coincided with my neighbour driving into the back of the car on my driveway.. :o\ )
--

Hairy One Kenobi

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 23:43:53 -0000, "Hairy One Kenobi"

This is probably an oil leak from the camshaft/adjuster seals leaking onto the exhaust. This is apparently a common occurance with th 2.8. See audiworld.com for discussions re. Search under "cam oil leak"

Sounds possible. How urgent is this, given that it just started? Would you fix it immediately or wait a week or so?
On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 00:25:58 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@suds.com wrote:

As long as your oil level doesn't drop too low. Just keep an eye on the level, but I'd get it looked after soon.
I have a 2000 A6 2,8 Q that was purchased last June. This problem indicated itself with an acrid odor issuing from the heater at around 60,000 km. . It was diagnosed rather quickly and repaired under Audi Assured warranty for the $50.00 deductable but the service tech said it was a 6 hr job + parts. As stated it is quite common for these engines to leak at the camshaft seals.

Damn. Mine is a 98.5 A4 2.8 Q, and today my friendly (really, they are friendly, I like them a lot) dealer told me 9 hours, $900. OWCH! I have not smelled the smell since yesterday, but your point about watching the oil level is well taken, thanks for making it.
In addition to that all too common leak, the output of the transmission to the rear driveshaft also leaks right onto the converter. It is rarely ythe seal itself, although it is frequently replaced. There is a small cover directly above it that weeps oil.

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 00:27:27 GMT, JPF

This car is a 5-speed, so not likely to have this particular leak, but thanks very much for posting the possibility.