ODOR in Frontier- AC system odor

I have a 1998 and 2004 Frontier. The AC works well in both. The 2004, seems to have a musty odor when I first turn on the AC to a much higher degree than the 1998 Frontier. Is there anything I can do to clean it up- such as change a filter, wash, clean something? Do I have to drop the dashboard or can I access through the engine firewall or from under the dash? Does anyone have any reference links?

Thanks Paul

Reply to
anon y mous

It's bacteria growing in the evaporator condensate (water). They make some stuff you can spray in the air intake that helps. It's best to turn off the A/C, but leave the blower running for a last mile or two if you're in a very humid climate. This will help dry out the evaporator.

Reply to
JimV

on 7/28/2007 11:16 AM anon y mous said the following:

Clean out the AC drain hose which should be sticking through the firewall somewhere on the passenger side. Debris gets into the vents on the cowl and blocks the drain. Also look for a hose going into the heater assembly and drain that too. Get a bucket and pull back the rug before doing it or you will spill the water on the rug. My 97 PU heater housing got so full of water that I could hear the heater's fan blades hitting the pool of water..

Reply to
willshak

That is when I notice the smell the most- not using the AC but just the blower.

I removed the microfilters and they were full of dirt- so I rinsed them off for now- will replace later.

Thanks Paul

Reply to
anon y mous