burning smell and smoke

Yesterday after letting my 1995 Audi 90 warm up, I get into the car and notice a funny burning smell, turn the blower up to level 3 to get some heat, and a puff of white-ish smoke comes out of the dash vents followed by
more of the same burning smell except much worse. Smelled like burning electrics. From outside the car, i couldn't smell it as bad, so it seemed more or less limited to inside the car. Any ideas what's causing this? Maybe the blower motor on it's way out? Thanks!!
Dan wrote:

If you hear a change in the blower motor that might be it but I would suspect a leaking heater core.
If you are in a colder climate the smoke you saw may have been steam from the leaking water / antifreeze.
Check you coolant level for the next few days to see if there is any change.
Or maybe your Audi is just getting attention at Christmas like mine. My '04 A4 1.8TQ6M just lost the coil pack on Cyl #3 on the way to the family get together tonight. Luckily, I had two spares in the trunk and sorted it in a few minutes.
Hi Tony thanks for the reply. I smelled a strong odor of burning too, like electrics..

If the fan still works only on high speed, maybe the dropping resistor pack going to Heaven?
/daytripper '00 s4 6spd