Erractic self-locking

Hi there,
My '98 A4 locks itself when it pleases to - provided of course the key is not in ignition. Sometimes it does so in two minutes, sometimes in half an
hour. Sometimes it remains open.
What am I missing here?
Thanks,
JP

It should only self lock, after you have locked the car then re-opened it again "without" putting the key back in the ignition.
Its incase you accidently press the unlock button after locking the car, the time mines takes is approx 2 mins, of course all the doors have to be shut as well.
Ron
Sorry, about the typo, I meant "erratic".
Well, yes, provided your conditions are met, Ronny, the car still takes "erratic" different times to lock itself every time, that is if it locks itself at all.
Is anyone else experiencing something similar?
Thanks,
JP

My 96 A4Q V6 had a problem with the locking/alarm system a while back. After some erratic operation, it started to arm the alarm when I unlocked the door from the outside to get into the car, the ignition switch was also disabled as part of arming the alarm system and any false moves would set of the horn alarm. Pretty funny, especially when it happens outside the office with everyone looking at me. Turns out I had to lower the window, get in the car, shut the door, reach out and unlock the car with the key to disable the alarm system and then start the car. Got the car to the shop and the mechanic diagnosed it as a faulty alarm/vacuum door lock module, I think it was accessed through the trunk floor, righthand side. The mechanic called it the "sump pump", apparently he'd seen it before, it's apparently not a well sealed area and gets flooded with water. He showed me the old module, the circuit board was all corroded, obviously had a lot of water damage. After replacing the module, he sealed the chamber with a lot of silicone sealant goop. I think the module cost about $375 plus labor.
JP Roberts wrote:

I had a problem with a 97 A3 which one day become difficult to unlock. Pressing the remote button unlocked it but it immediately locked itself again. Using the key was the same because as soon as you turned it, it would lock again! I could however open the boot and unlock it that way.
The dealer diagnosed it as the central locking pump which needed replaced. I believe this sits under the drivers seat although I could be wrong. Cost was about 230 (230 uk pounds) to fix.
HTH