A4 Locks and Keys

Has anybody ever replaced the ignition switch in an A4?

We just bought an 01 Golf about a month ago. Sunday, somebody grabbed my wife's purse. The purse was found Monday, minus her car keys. So we're thinking we should probably replace the locks since they could have written down our address hoping to stop by and hop in and take off. The car is kept in a locked garage, so that's not likely while it's sitting at home, but still.....

I got price of $240 for all 4 locks and a single remote key from the dealer. Pricey, but considering the ignition lockout, I guess it's reasonable. But they want $300 to install them. Not reasonable I don't think. I don't see any problems with changing the glove box, door and hatch locks, but not sure about the ignition since it has the ID thing built-in. I haven't ordered a Bentley for this one yet. I was hoping not to need one for a while, so I don't have it to reference yet. Is there anything special or tricky about replacing any of the locks that would make it worth while to have the dealer do it.

Any info would be appreciated.

Ed '01 Golf GLS 50,000 miles '86 GTI 230,000 miles

Reply to
Mr.Eddy

Yes, if you have an immobilizer the new key will need to be matched to the car. To do this you need the dealer to do the job or find one willing to give out the login code. Also you need Ross-tech's VAG-COM.

Reply to
Woodchuck

WoodChuck,

Since he's got the immobilizer, how about "unprogramming" the old keys and just programming the new ones? If it can be done then he only needs two keys and reprogramming. Am I making it overly simple?

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

The issue is someone may have the old keys and still can open the doors. If that's not a concern then just getting a new set of keys and doing the programming will render the old keys inoperative. i.e. the old keys will open the doors and turn in the ignition but the engine will not start. So... it's a matter what the owner wants to do? New keys, or new keys and locks?

Reply to
Woodchuck

Thanks for the ideas, but;

The thought of seeing if the key could be reprogrammed did occur to me. But as WoodChuck stated, somebody may have the other key and would still be able to manually open the door. And I figure if they get in there and can't start it, they'll be pissed off enough to trash everything they can get there hands on. I want to avoid that.

So the question still stands, has anybody replaced the ignition switch.

Ed

Reply to
Mr.Eddy

I think(?) you can order a complete lock kit from VW for all the locks in the car.

Reply to
Woodchuck