FIS/computer display stopped showing information: Audi A6 model 2002

Hello,
My Audi A6 2002 stopped showing the driving computer information in the FIS display (or what ever you call it) in the instrument panel. The actual
display panel seems to work ok, because I can see the intial message saying "press brake to..." and also when I press the trim knob to see the service interval text there. What is missing is that when I start the car, the radio channel & RDS text are not shown on top of the display (it is shown as black), and also the middle part of the display is not showing the normal computer info (average milage, distance etc). The gears are visible on the bottom of the display.
Has anyone faced the similar problems or has any ideas what could be wrong here? I haven't checked the fuses yet, but I will. We have had some changing weather conditions from +5 to -10 and vice versa. I was thinking that maybe humidity has caused this.
Regards, Sami
On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 19:57:41 +0200, "Sami Heikkinen"
Just a silly suggestion:
If you have the onboard compuer and the FIS, you have that little button on the underside of the right stick (wipers) which toggles the FIS display on and off. Have you pressed that accidentially?
Regards
Wolfgang
Isn't that the Reset button? Does it also switch off/on the display? I guess I have to check that :)
Regards, Sami

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 22:56:36 +0200, "Sami Heikkinen"

Do that. If you press it a few seconds it will reset data. If you press it just shortly it will switch off the display.
:-)
W.
I have tested also to select different modes using the button (two way switch) at the end of the right stick, but still shows empty.
BR, Sami

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 22:57:35 +0200, "Sami Heikkinen"

Yep. It remains off until you switch it on again.
Of course only if this is really the cause.
Wolfgang

Hard to imagine what else would be so selective...
That was it. Obviously I have accidentally pressed the Reset button at some point of time. I was not aware of the this feature. Root cause: "Misunderstanding by the user" :)
Thanks a lot Wolfgang, you saved my day.
Regards, Sami

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 17:36:38 +0200, "Sami Heikkinen"

When I did a stint in customer support, we'd call that an "IO Error".
"Idiot Operator"
;-)
/daytripper '00 s4 6spd

Not to beat up on poor Sami, but is that the same as an "ID-ten-T" errors that the guys in IT talk about? Cheers! Steve Sears 1987 Audi 5kTQ 1980 Audi 5k 1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes (SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)

In danish "Fejl 40" (error 40).
(hint: the user sits approximately 40 cms way ;o))
--
Gio

Another IT related "error code" is CODE 18 The user sits roughly 18" from the screen...
:)
snipped-for-privacy@ig.dk.INVALID says...

"Chris" wrote

Another IT-related acronym is PEBKAC (problem exists between keyboard and chair).
:)
Pete
Another IT-related acronym is PICNIC - Problem in chair, not in computer...