2001 Information Display

Hi All: I am very interested in getting a '99 to '03 convertible. I have found a decent one locally but a few letters are out in the driver information display. I understand this unit is troublesome on the pre

03 models. Is this true? Any estimates on how much it costs to replace?

Also wondering abut the A/C. I live in sunny Florida where the a/c systems have to work hard all year long. How does the a/c in these cars keep up in the heat of summer?

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

I think there is an extended warranty on the 9-5 info display but could be wrong. It is/was a very common problem. I assume you are talking about 9-3 and don't know if it used the same info display.

Dan

Reply to
dan

In message , Steve B. writes

There are people who make a tidy living doing repairs to these SID units, do a search on eBay for 'SID repair' - 70 of your US dollars or so. If you do buy a complete unit you will need to get it programmed at a Saab dealer otherwise you won't get the convertible specific messages on the SID,

It's a convertible - the best form of air conditioning is the switch that opens the roof! Seriously though, whilst we can't claim the weather you get in Florida here in the UK, I'm pretty sure the A/C can keep up - my 2000 9-5 A/C needs a recharge at the moment as it's efficiency is starting to drop but provided you get a reasonably leak tight A/C then you should be OK. A good A/C technician can inject a dye into the system to identify any leaks.

Andy

Reply to
Andrew Sinclair

Maybe in the UK, but not in Florida!! The roof protects you from the boiling sun, and keeps out the 98%-humid air. Maybe it's fun to drive down the road occasionally with the wind in your hair (or lack thereof for some of us :-), but even then you wouldn't be cool. AC may not be a necessity for survival in Florida but it's mighty darn nice to have.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Fritz

Thank you! That isn't such a bad price to pay.

The convertible is great here at night. Our evening temperatures are in the low 80s at night for much of the summer. Top down won't work for me during the day in the summer though... I do service work and travel all day every day. During the summer it isn't uncommon for my temp display to read 110 sitting in traffic on some of the "big wide roads". Add humidity in the 90 percent area and a suit and tie... I might make it but I'm sure my next customer isn't going to appreciate the odor!!

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

Actually, from what I have observed, the absolute best fun can be had by driving swiftly and steadily out of that state. It really doesn't matter where, either. You're welcome.

Reply to
Fred W

Yeah... you don't own a 'vert for very long before you realize that somewhere around 87 degrees/sunny it's just too hot with the top down unless you are moving at a good clip. If you're sitting in traffic anywhere over 90 degrees and sunny it's unbearable. As you mention, warm summer nights are actually much better for top down use.

I've tested to 100 degrees and 90 percent and found it OK although the A/C was blasting full tilt and I sit in the front seat :-) .

Reply to
still me

Check out

R. Frist

My daughter has a 99 9-5 and the SID is also missing a few rows and her A/C has what I've been told is a common problem. It seems that there is a chamber that mixes warm air in with the cold and the mechanism that operates the baffle was made from some flimsy material that is prone to breakage. On really warm days (in Texas) the A/C cannot keep up. The charge is up and the pressures are all normal, it just doesn't cool. The local SAAB shop quoted $900 plus parts to fix it, claiming they know exactly the problem and essentially guaranteed a fix. Unfortunately there are a lot of things that the $900 will go for before fixing the a/c.

GWB

Reply to
George W. Barrowcliff

On your display, Check the ebay i saw one for under $50 + shipping

Reply to
Taras