Fuel Pressure Regulator

I have an Audi 80 / 1993 / 2.3L / 5Cyl / Fuel Injection / Automatic Transmission. Mileage is about 108,000Km approx.
I have recently started experiencing erratic engine idling, extremely high
fuel consumption, and the engine RPM drops significantly after a few miles of driving.
My mechanic tells me it's my fuel pressure regulator and i tend to believe it, cos I read a bit about it on the internet and it was consistent with the symptoms my car experiences.
I'd like to share this info with you all for a second opinion before I buy the part.
was the CTS and 02 sensor checked? does your vehicle blink out codes? I think it might. ;-) http://www.carsoft.ru/avtorepair/Codes.html
this is something that you can easily do yourself! <g>
later, dave (One out of many daves)