imobaliser trouble

i have an n reg a4 1.9turbo my problem is car was running fine and now the car turns over to start then it is like the imbobaliser doesnt go off please
can anyone help.
mypxf00 via CarKB.com wrote:

Sounds like the key barrel has failed. Pretty common problem. A quick google on this group will pick up a ton of stuff on it. Happened in my 97 A3. Dealer replaced it so don't know if its user serviceable.
In mine the engine would start, the immobiliser light would start flashing and the engine would die. A temporary measure was to remove the key and re-insert it which would make it work again. The fault didn't happen all the time.
HTH