Oil leak from front of 5-cyl Audi 100 (1986)

I don't believe it's the valve cover gasket, it seems to be lower. Is it likely to be the crankshaft oil seal, or is there something else down there that could leak?
Thanks in advance.
Probably the crank seal but it could also be front pan seal or pan gaskets. The front pan seal is particularly difficult to get at.
Art Deco wrote:

Thanks. Does removing the crank seal really require an extractor tool (whatever that looks like)? According to Haynes, if you don't have one you have to remove the oil pump.

Yes. The front crank seal is behind the crank pulley and that takes a special tool and 240 ft lbs torque to remove. If you do this you should take the opportunity to change the timing belt, idler pulley and water pump.
Art Deco wrote:

I've got the special tool (2084?) to lock the engine, but once the crank pulley is off do I need an extractor tool to get the crank seal out?

A seal removal tool should work. the one I got when I rented the tools for the Tbelt change didn't seem to fit so I used a screwdriver to destroy the old one but a different seal too should work.
Check the depth of the seal before removing the old one so you don't put the new one in too far.