Need to replace crankshaft oil seal on 1986 Audi 100

Owing to an oil leak...

Any hints on removing/installing crankshaft oil seals on this engine?

Reply to
Geoff Dingle

The message from Geoff Dingle contains these words:

That'd depend which engine it is.

Reply to
Guy King

Guy King wrote in news:313030303432373944D4769C55 @zetnet.co.uk:

Obviously it's an Audi engine :-)

Reply to
Tunku

It's the 2 litre 5-cylinder in-line engine, code KW (I think).

Reply to
Geoff Dingle

The message from Geoff Dingle contains these words:

Front or rear seal?

Reply to
Guy King

Front seal. What I'm really interested in is to know if the job can be done without special tools (seal extractors and the like).

Reply to
Geoff Dingle

The message from Geoff Dingle contains these words:

Sure, but to help you we needed to know what seal on which engine.

As far as I can remember last time I did one (many year ago) I just prised it out carefully with a screwdriver.

Reply to
Guy King

Best place to ask for the five cylinder is audiworld.com

Reply to
Duncan Wood

No problem.

And presumably a socket of the same approximate size would be enough to bang the new seal in.

Reply to
Geoff Dingle

Thanks. Will peek.

Reply to
Geoff Dingle

The message from Geoff Dingle contains these words:

A method that's never let me down.

Reply to
Guy King

The old seals often particularly handy for protecting/lining up the new one & the socket.

Reply to
Duncan Wood