Coolant leak - Audi 100 '86

Hi all

Got a problem with our Audi 100 2.2 from 1985 - the last few days it's been dropping a whole load of coolant; it doesn't seem to be from the reservoir or any of the hoses connected with this, and the amount of coolant and the fact that it continues even while the car's been left standing for ages doesn't indicate a head gasket failure. The coolant seems to form a pool under the sump right in the centre of the motor; I've followed the trace of fluid it back (as best I can right now) to the front of the motor somewhere. Anyone have any idea whatsoever about where the leak could be?

The temp. gauge is indicating normal operating temperatures, and the car doesn't seem lose a constant amount of coolant - sometimes it's a lot, sometimes very little...

Any advice would be much appreciated :-)

Reply to
Chris G.

'86 100??? In the US? May be Europe.

My guess is that your water pump is going out with bad bearings. If it is a European T44 I5 it is time for a timing belt, water pump, tensioner etc.

I had a water pump > Hi all

Reply to
Tony

Sorry, forgot to mention that; yep, I'm in europe, Denmark to be precise.

Hmm. That sounds pretty dodgy and, owing to lack of a workshop, nothing I can fix myself :-(

Thanks for the reply, I'll look into it :)

Reply to
Chris G.

Yep, took a look this morning and it's certainly looking like the water-pump's shuffled off this mortal coil :-/

-- Chris : )

Reply to
Chris G.

Err... where did he say it was a US model? The 100 was known as the 5000 in the US, not the other way round.

Regards

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Morton

Try reading it again.

I th>

Reply to
Tony

If you need to R&R the timing belt this would be a good time to do it with the water pump.

If not you change the pump fairly easily. The pump rotates to tighten the tim> Yep, took a look this morning and it's certainly looking like the

Reply to
Tony