Stupid question for any Canadian A4 owners

Is a block heater an option? I recently bought an Audi Assured 2001 A4 Quattro Sport 5spd 1.8T and I can't find the freaking block heater cord! Is there some clever place that it's hidden in the engine bay? I have trouble
fathoming how any car for sale in Canada could be sold without a block heater. It borders on criminal! ;)
Seriously, though - anyone?

Depends on the dealer, where you live etc.
In Ottawa where it has been known to get chilly, the majority of the cars don't appear to have block heaters nor do any of the public parking lots have plug-ins. In the prairies to not have a heater as a dealer installed option and no plug-ins is bad. Both are pretty much standard; if not, count on bad times at -35C.
I lived on the prairies and found that garaging a vehicle is equal to a block heater. If you don't have a garage, get a heater. I am guessing that where you are there are no plug-ins in public parking lots. And if you do put in a heater, your car will love you and it will be much quicker to get to running temp etc.
rob wrote:

Here in Sweden (but yes I am a Canadian A4 owner, as you asked for ;-) the heater is not in the Audi catalogue but is installed as a dealer option upon delivery. The extra cost here was approx CAD 350 which is of course ridiculous, but it's nothing compared with the cost of wear and tear on the engine if you don't have one.
If you DIY (incl. all the mess with the block plug, coolant, cutting suitable hole in lower front grille for the connector etc) then you'll get away much cheaper, say half the cost. But if you have the funds, get the dealer or a well-reputed workshop to do it. Should be standard fare for them.
/Robert