Stupid question

Hello all.

Time for a daft question: what do you call the handle thingy on the rear of a Defender, attached I think to the bumper, which looks like one of those caravan manoeuvring things? I'm trying to source one, but not knowing the correct name for it is making life difficult. I'm not sure what its intended purpose is, but the one we had on our old Defender made a perfect lashing point for the dog during camping trips. We haven't got one on the new Td5 and our Lab is too strong for most conventional solutions. I'd like to see him try to budge the Landy.

Thanks,

jermec

Reply to
jermec

So jermec was, like

Don't know the official name, but I've heard them referred to as rear grab handles. I reckon their precise name and function are lost in the mists of LR history, but they are useful for all sorts.

It's what yer towbar's for. My Lab can pull me (17st) up hill and down dale, but when I loop his lead over the towbar he can't shift the Rangie more than a couple of feet :-)

Reply to
Richard Brookman

You mean NTC 5116 (black) or 300816 ( I assume galvanised) Richard

Reply to
Richard

Towbar, what towbar?! We bought this Landy new, but were sad to find no towbar when we picked it up. Fussing didn't help. One is on the want list, but we thought one of these handles might be a cheaper and quicker option.

jermec

Reply to
jermec

Sorry? Bit dim. Don't understand. :-)

jermec

Reply to
jermec

In the words of Alan Partridge, "Aha". That makes sense. Thanks. Regarding Max the monster Lab (aka puppy of mass destruction), I'll have to untie him before we drive off. He would make a very effective ground anchor.

jermec

Reply to
jermec

Tow bars aren't standard equipment. You need to specify one when ordering.

Reply to
Colonel Tupperware

Land Rover part numbers.

Do please remember to untie the dog before driving off.

Cheers,

McBad

it is a grab handle, most common type in the uk is NTC5116 (same for left and right).

Regards. Mark.

Reply to
MVP

Indeed - and 300816 superceeds to NTC5116 (3.22 inc VAT here). The "galvanised" version was, I think, a pattern part and I've not seen any for a while.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

It was a showroom "misbuild" model, about to be returned to Solihull because nobody wanted it. Perfect for us, though. I was too quick when saying I'd buy it to check for things like towbars and the like. I was cheeky on delivery day, but got nowhere. Should've checked really, but I was too excited. Small kid in sweet shop syndrome. "I want it now" scenario.

jermec

Reply to
jermec