Tiptronic chips?

I'm considering buying a 2002 Tiptronic S4 Avant, mainly because these are the only ones that turn up, and partly because of Atlanta's traffic...
One thing though. when I took a test drive in 02, there were two
things I didn't like about it:
1. Manual mode shifting was very slow, in that I could push the stick for a change, and get my hand back on the wheel before it even started to shift. I'd much prefer it do the shift immediately, and not some time later.
2. The actual shifts were very soft, with the engagement spread over time, which increases wear on the clutch packs in the interest of smoothness. I'm used to my 84 Volvo's shifting, which engages the next gear with a solid thump in the back.. At 200K, it's been without problem..
Is anyone still selling modified software for the S4's transmission controller that can speed up the before, and after phases of the shift? (I suspect that item 2 has more to do with fluid passage sizes than computer controls.)
"Doug Warner" wrote

GIAC.
http://www.awe-tuning.com/pages/shared/part_detail.cfm?PMaI=1&PMoI=4&PEI=6&PP=s4_27t_chips.cfm&PPT=Chips&IL=GIACTipChips27t42
Cheers,
Pete
There is a way to reprogram the transmission to provide stiffer/shorter shifts. I've done it on my '00A6 2.7 and it's worth the effort. You need a tool like Vag-Com ( or a willing dealer). Check the following AudiWorld link for more. I think it applies to your trans but....... http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articles/auto_transmission/codingtransmission.html
GRS
Spammers are VERMIN. Please kill them all.
Glenn Spence wrote:

http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articles/auto_transmission/codingtransmission.html
I tried the VAG-COM thing on my Passat. It seemed to work for one test drive, then reset to its usual slushiness. I see AWE has a dealer in Queens, might be worth a drive other there.
-- Mike Smith