1983 320i Speed Relay

I am testing the Lambda (O2 sensor) control unit to make sure that it works right. The drawing from Alldata shows the WOT switch connected to the speed relay. It also states that the speed relay closes above 3500 RPM. The purpose is to give enrichment (more fuel) under these conditions. I jumpered the WOT connector and nothing happened.

My question is do both WOT and above 3500 RPM need to happen to cause enrichment or should either do it?

Thanks

Reply to
Scott Buchanan

It needs to be both. It's not too much of an enrichment, what it actually does is fake the Lambda unit into thinking that the engine is cold and going to the cold enrich cycle.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Bradley

I see. Thank You. After looking at the drawing some more I see that when the speed relay closes and with the WOT closed there is a path to ground. I can test the relay with a light.

Reply to
Scott Buchanan