1988 5283 Radio Code

We just purchased a 1988 528e for our daughter but the previous owners had removed the battery long enough that the anti-theft system kicked in. Of course they do not remember the code! Is there some sneaky way to rest the radio until my daughter can affird to install a more modern radio?

Also what is the best replacement radio for this year model?

Thanks

Reply to
Ivan O

If it's an original BMW radio, the dealer should have an unlock code based on the VIN.

Reply to
Jan Kalin

Perhaps so on modern BMWs (I'm not sure) but at least on these older ones the code is based on the radio serial number, not the VIN. You will either have to bring it to the stealership and prove you are the owner or pull the radio out yourself, get the numbers off it, and then go to the dealer and somehow prove that you are the owner.

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

If you take the registration to the dealership with the serial number of the radio, they should have a way to provide you with the code for that unit.

Each radio has a different code, and there are 6x6x6x6x6x6 combinations, so searching for the right code can be a lengthy process. The point is that the crooks are not going to invest the time to crack the code, therefore they are not going to steal the radio.

There should be an Owner's Manual specifically for the radio, and this will have the code in it. But barring that, the dealership is the only source for the codes. They are going to want to see that the radio is actually yours or they could be giving the code to the crooks, and defeat the purpose for having the code in the first place.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

They're often part of the serial number which should be somewhere on the radio. But might be the first few digits, the last few, or even in the middle.

A car radio group - giving the make and serial number of the actual radio might help.

Incidentally, in the UK, car ICE was never factory fitted at this age. Dealer or aftermarket.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

ICE? What's that?

As an aside, why would they include the code in the serial number. If a crook took the radio, the serial number would contain the code and this would render the code useless. The purpose is to dissuade a thief from taking the radio because the radio would be inoperative unless the code could be determined. If the code was printed on the radio itself, then the code would not be a deterent to theft.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

In Car Entertainment.

Yes, pet.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I will be taking the car (excuse me my Daughter's car) to the dealership soon to get a bumper to bumper inspection and ask them to also look at the radio.

Thanks again

Reply to
Ivan O