1989 BMW 735i

I was recently driving down my block with a cold 1989 BMW 735i. After about a quarter of a mile, it complained of a Transmission program, and the next message was "see owners manual". The car did not get much
power, and upon looking in the owners manual, I found it was stuck in 4th gear as a precaution. I pushed it closer to the curb while it was idling, and it started making a clicking noise, then grinding. It sounded like a transmission pump running dry, but I checked the fluid level, and there was plenty. Is it the transmission pump going out, or is there some cable or electrical problem that I don't know of? Thanks!

1) bear in mind the tranny fluid level must be checked while the engine is running!
2) This is often a low supply voltage to the tranny. Check the connector for dirt. It's possible this is the first sign of a bad battery.

I'm afraid a grinding noise doesn't seem good.
--
*If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried *