1995 318ti wont start, is this a common problem?

Taken it to BMW dealer twice and of course it wont act up for them. Doesnt start sometimes and have to wait 20 minutes or less before I can try it again. All the lights come on but the engine wont turn
over. Anybody ever heard of this or know what it could be? One thing it is not is key chip-or so Im told.
Summer wrote:

turns over but won't catch. Your problem sounds more like a starter solenoid of physical keyswitch problem. Does it make any clicking noise at all when you move the key from position 2 (run position) to position 3 (momentary start)?
-Fred W

I had an old 320i that did that (first time was at a rest area in the Mojave Desert in July). The tow truck driver whacked the starter motor with a wrench and that fixed it temporarily. I never did get it repaired (it was probably the solenoid). Just had to take a whack at it when it balked, every three months or so. Worth a try if it ever strands you someplace unpleasant.
RDL
*************************** Replace + with - for email
Got a 525 that does exactly the same. Only when hot and in the most embaressing place possible. Git.. It gives me a legitimate excuse for carrying a motorcycle fork leg on the back seat though! You have to have the ignition on and whack the solenoid at the same time. Assuming you can reach. Solenoid is attached to starter motor so about 150 to sort.