1995 E36 M3 Steering Rack

Hey All,

I've got a 1995 BMW M3. I need to replace my steering rack but I'm having a little trouble figuring out which rack to use with this car. I believe the 1995 M3s had the 3.0L S50 engine. Can I use the Maval M1000-65140 Rack in this car?

If the Maval unit won't fit, is there any other alternative than ZF? I'm having a hard time justifying $500+ for the rack but don't want to get the POS A1 Cardone unit.

Thanks for your help,

Evan Ruff

Reply to
evan.ruff

AND... I'm answering my own question.

The answer is no. The '96+ Racks all had slower steering than the '95 rack (3.0 lock-to-lock). Interstingly enough, the Z3 racks had a 2.4 lock-to-lock, so that is what I will be installing.

Thanks,

Evan

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
evan.ruff

What's actually wrong with it? Most can be fixed with new trackrod assemblies that include the inner balljoints and new seals. Have you enquired about having it overhauled? The usual price for this on most steering racks is I'd guess about $200.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Mine (on a 325) eventually ended up with a slight amount of movement in the rack itself but that was after 160k miles.

Reply to
adder1969

This is normally taken up by the damper. Of course if the rack is badly tapered where the damper meets it then it would be scrap. But this was more common with a manual rack where the lubricant could run low without it being noticed. With a power steering system it's noticed instantly.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)