2000 E46 OBD code 1498

Hi - the check engine light came on today (2000 328i) . I read code 1397 ( Camshaft pos. sensor) along with code 1498. Does anyone know what 1498 is? I
saw some info on the web pointing to a transmission fault but that was for a Mini. It said 1498 was for Mini's only - not BMW's. The car runs and drives fine and has 55k miles.
How long can I drive with one of the camshaft sensors out? I heard the usual failure mode is oil ingestion due to cracks on the tip??
Thanks for any info.
Jeff
i checked the code and it reads " auxiliary emission controls " . i'm sure that this could mean anything . hth , dick

The Cam Sensor does a similar job as the points used to do way back when they still used points.
The engine will not run with a failed cam sensor.
I'm a bit confused by the coeds you report. They are not OBD II codes. OBD II codes should be P0nnn, where nnn is in the range of 100 to 999. Codes that are P1nnn are manufacturer specific codes -- they will be for things that one maker might check for, but the others to not check. The Cam Sensor is not a BMW specific code
Here is a list of valid OBD II codes,
http://autorepair.about.com/od/obdcodedatabase/a/OBD_1996_year.htm
You should be pulling the OBD II codes from the data port that is mounted along the bottom of the dash board, possibly behind a cover that states OBD Data, or similar.
You can pull data from the BMW diagnostic port, but that data might not give the same code information as the OBD II data, and this can lead to confusion.
According to the link I posted, P1397 is a Cam Sensor, just as you said (I'm a bit perplexed by this, but let's move on).The "1498" code says it is a Honda/Acura code.

Not so - it's the crank sensor which basically times the spark. More accurate than a sensor driven via chains etc which stretch. The cam sensor - ignition wise - tells which stroke the engine is on as the crank turns twice per cylinder cycle.

Think it will after a fashion in the same way as it will with a failed crank sensor. A limp home mode.
--
*OK, who stopped payment on my reality check?

But Dave, the points time the spark. Granted, the job is done differently, but when looking for the cam sensor, one would look in essentially the same place as one might look for points. The package might be different, but the location and job is pretty much the same.
Distributors (points) have always been driven by a gear. I've never seen an application where this job would be done via a chain-driven mechanism.

You've not understood what I've written. It's a combination of the two, but the crank one actually triggers the spark. It's perfectly possible to trigger the ignition from the crank only - the Ford EDIS system does this - and I don't know of any that uses a cam position only one.

Most distributors are gear driven off the camshaft - which in turn is usually driven by a chain or belt. So any wear in that chain effects the ignition timing. That didn't much matter when points and timing were checked every few thousand miles, and there were no emission controls, but these days ignition systems are expected to last the life of the car with no attention, and provide accurate timing throughout.
--
*It's a thankless job, but I've got a lot of Karma to burn off

No matter, the discussion is the source of the P1397 code, and that comes from the cam sensor, and that is located in a position one might expcet to find the points -- if they still used points (which we all know they don't use and haven't used for a very long time, but gives one an idea of where to locate the cam sensor).
this is what i found : " P1498 _ manufacturer contrl auxiliary emissions controls " . HTH , D.

Thanks all for the great replies. I did read the codes from the OBDII port under the drivers dash using an Actron code reader. Guess I'll order a cam sensor today. Thanks again
Jeff