2003 Z4 question

Hello,
I have bought as per subject line and after searching through the owners manual and following instructions, I can not get the anti-theft alarm
system to work.. After getting iit home I am now wondering if I actually have the alarm system as an option. Hate to sound like a real lamer but how would I go about finding if I do or if I do not have an alarm system in this vehicle? Is there something I can physically look for such as a relay, box, speaker etc?... My thoughts are that the previous owner disconnected it via fuse panel or such.... thoughts? Thanks.. Jim

Not entirely sure about the Z4, but the alarm system is a dealer-installed option on all 3-series, possibly on 5-series. It's not a standard item, although the car is pre-wired.
FYI, installation of after-market systems have been problematical and often have caused problems due to the complex electronics in these cars.
FloydR
If you have an alarm system of BMW design you should have an electric siren attached behind the front bumper and easily visible with the hood raised. You can also ask a BMW dealer to run a "build sheet" on your car by providing a VIN number. If the alarm system was factory installed it will show on the build sheet.
Get a Bentley manual for your Z4 as it can answer most questions about the car and its sub-components.
RJD

By the way, The alarm system is EASY to install. You can find them on eBay. I strongly urge you to consider NOTHING BUT the OEM system. Aftermarket systems have proven to be problematic.
I found a BMW alarm for my daughter's '00 323i a few years ago for $150-ish. My daughter was able to put it in.
Jim wrote:

is the same, but you can test the alarm in the M3 by locking the car with the windows down and putting your hand through the open window, there's about a 10sec delay and the alarm goes off.
I think arming the alarm is dealer programmable when the car is locked either from the key, the remote or both, mine certainly arms when the car is locked with the remote, which is all I use.
JM