hello, vauxhall astra question

Hi there,

This is my first post, but it isnt for me, its for a friend at work.

Its regarding a Vauxhall Astra 1.8Sport, M reg.

Now the problem is when in traffic, the car just stalls. It is running normal temperature, and as it happens, the engine management light (not fimialar with myself) comes on, jsut as its about to stall.

The car just cuts out dead.

It happens if the clutch is pushed and raised.

It has gone to a vauxhall garage a few times, but they cant find anything.

Such things like cleaning sensors etc.. have been done, but nothing else as far as i know.

What could it be.

And if the answer is what i think it is, where can i get one cheap for that car?

Many thanks

Stuart - on behalf of geoff.

Reply to
Stuart Turrell

Do ther revs go up and down when standing / ticking over? Or does it rev really high or low, like at a different speed every time he stops?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith

nothing happens, it just dies without any sign, except for that engine management light coming on just before. It doesnt rev, drop revs or anything, it just dies.

Reply to
Stuart Turrell

It sounds similar to a problem I had, the idle control valve getting sticky, except he is only getting one of my symptoms. When mine stalled, it was because the idle control valve was stuck at low revs. I think the light came on for a sec as it stalled.

Sometimes it stuck at high revs, and tapping the accelerator made it stop at a different point. Other times it went up and down for no reason.

Maybe it is something else if none of these other things are happening (unless anyone thinks different)

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith

I've got another question about Astra's actually, maybe you've had the same problem with your 1.8? My dad's got a 1.4 8v (Hi Torque) P reg Astra. For some reason though the car doesn't start very well at times because the ignition gets damp (probably plugs or leads). It's usually after it hasn't been driven for long or in damp weather. It's harder to start and can run on just 3 cylinders at first. Any ideas how this could be prevented? He's tried new ignition leads, I think they improved it, but didn't cure the problem.

Reply to
Peter