325tds Acceleration problem

Hi- I'm was hoping to get a bit of help with a problem I'm having with my 1996 325tds manual trans 81k miles. (purchased and currently residing in France).
The problem is in 4th and 5th gear accelerating at around 3200 to 3800 rpms. At this point in both 4th and 5th gears the car abruptly loses power and stops accelerating- the fuel consumption guage drops and it's as though I took my foot off of the gas. I suspect a fuel delivery problem (recently had filter changed though and it didn't help) or the turbo going out? Thanks for any help you can give. -Matt