545 vs. 550

What are the differences between the 2005 545 and the 2006 550 besides a little more horsepower? Is it the same engine just tuned?

No, the 550 has a 5 liter engine while the 545 has a 4.4 liter engine. Jim

It's actually a 4.8L engine. BMW started rounding off engine sizes a few years back to either sound more impressive (rounding up as in this case) or to differentiate a larger difference between models (as in the 2.5L 323i vs the 2.8L 328i). I believe the start/stop button is now used with the new fey fob instead of the traditional keyed ignition switch.
Kyle. 98 740iL 01 525i
Just curious, which countries are the 550's sold in?
Kyle and Lori Greene wrote:

A few minutes after my post, it came to me that the engine might not be a full 5 liters. O well, that is the way things go. Jim
So Jim, are you saying it is a brand new engine?

Yes. For more go to "New 4.8-liter V-8 engine" here:
http://www.bmwusa.com/BMW2003/Templates/Joy/Technology/TechnologyDetail.aspx ?NRMODE=Published&NRORIGINALURL=%2fbmwexperience%2fbmwindepth%2fBmwTechnolog y%2fPerformance&NRNODEGUID=%7bB78B71C2-C369-4227-A61E-06CC28A303C6%7d&NRCACH EHINT=Guest
In the US, I only have seen 525, 535, 540, 545, m5. Where are the 550's sold?

Try your local BMW DEALER:
www.bmwusa.com
Thanks.....I didn't know about this new model until I visited the site, sorry.
So it looks like the 545s have been removed from the lineup for 06, replaced with 550s, pretty interesting.

well buy a 740 then, it actually has 4.4l
wrote in message news:oJmkf.26767

Since the OP was apparently referring to new cars, that's not possible. The 740i became the 745i a few years ago and is now the 750i (V8). The 12 is now the 760i.
www.bmwusa.com
Tom
wrote in message news:oJmkf.26767

Mark, I didn't realize you were from the UK & that you guys have many more engine options than we do. Sorry.
Tom
ag wrote:

2 cylinders?
--
-Fred W

ag wrote:

oops, make that 4 cylinders?
--
-Fred W

Uh, I think the 2006 550, 650 & 750 are all 4.8 liter V-8's. IIRC, The 12 is still only available in the 7 series and it's now a 760.
Tom
Tom K. wrote:

Yeah. You're right. ...and the 12 cyl was never installed in a 5 series as far as I know. ;-)
--
-Fred W

It probably would result in a front weight bias similar to the 400 c.i. Plymouth Fury I had in the '70's!
Tom
"Malt_Hound" <""Malt_Hound\"@*spam-me not*yahoo.com" ""Malt_Hound\"@*spam-me not*yahoo.com" wrote in message

Sure was...
http://www.fantasycars.com/sedans/html/hamann39.html
Grant wrote:

Let me restate that: ...and the 12 cyl was never installed in a 5 series *by BMW* as far as I know. ;-)
--
-Fred W