545 vs. 550

What are the differences between the 2005 545 and the 2006 550 besides a little more horsepower? Is it the same engine just tuned?

Reply to
ag

No, the 550 has a 5 liter engine while the 545 has a 4.4 liter engine. Jim

Reply to
Jim

It's actually a 4.8L engine. BMW started rounding off engine sizes a few years back to either sound more impressive (rounding up as in this case) or to differentiate a larger difference between models (as in the 2.5L 323i vs the 2.8L 328i). I believe the start/stop button is now used with the new fey fob instead of the traditional keyed ignition switch.

Kyle.

98 740iL 01 525i
Reply to
Kyle and Lori Greene

Just curious, which countries are the 550's sold in?

Kyle and Lori Greene wrote:

Reply to
weng94

A few minutes after my post, it came to me that the engine might not be a full 5 liters. O well, that is the way things go. Jim

Reply to
Jim

So Jim, are you saying it is a brand new engine?

Reply to
ag

Yes. For more go to "New 4.8-liter V-8 engine" here:

bfd

In the US, I only have seen 525, 535, 540, 545, m5. Where are the

550's sold?
Reply to
weng94

Try your local BMW DEALER:

bfd

Thanks.....I didn't know about this new model until I visited the site, sorry.

So it looks like the 545s have been removed from the lineup for 06, replaced with 550s, pretty interesting.

Reply to
weng94

well buy a 740 then, it actually has 4.4l

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

Since the OP was apparently referring to new cars, that's not possible. The

740i became the 745i a few years ago and is now the 750i (V8). The 12 is now the 760i.

Tom

Reply to
Tom K.

Mark, I didn't realize you were from the UK & that you guys have many more engine options than we do. Sorry.

Tom

Reply to
Tom K.

2 cylinders?
Reply to
Malt_Hound

oops, make that 4 cylinders?

Reply to
Malt_Hound

Uh, I think the 2006 550, 650 & 750 are all 4.8 liter V-8's. IIRC, The 12 is still only available in the 7 series and it's now a 760.

Tom

Reply to
Tom K.

Yeah. You're right. ...and the 12 cyl was never installed in a 5 series as far as I know. ;-)

Reply to
Malt_Hound

It probably would result in a front weight bias similar to the 400 c.i. Plymouth Fury I had in the '70's!

Tom

Reply to
Tom K.

"Malt_Hound"

Sure was...

Grant

Let me restate that: ...and the 12 cyl was never installed in a 5 series *by BMW* as far as I know. ;-)

Reply to
Malt_Hound