What are the differences in spec between TD5 Disco and TD300 please

I have a '96 TD300 Disco and am thinking about buying a TD5 but I'm struggling to find out the differences under the bonnet, suspension, transmission etc. Can someone tell me or point me to relevant web pages please.

Are these known as mark I & mark II respectively?

Thanks

Tony

Reply to
Tony

Hi Tony

Having owned a 95 300 tdi auto and a 2004 TD5 auto I can say they are very different. In my view the TD5 makes the 300tdi seem like a tractor. On road performance the TD5 is in a different league, even more so if you get a remap of the engine. The 300tdi is a 4 cylinder where as the TD5 is 5 cylinder. Off road they will both do very well, just that the TD5 uses electronic trickery to make it easier. The 300tdi is probably more 'Home mechanic' friendly. Suspension wise the TD5 has tha addition of air to raise and lower the suspension when needed. There is also traction control and hill decent which is very impressive and on some models ACE (active cornering enhancemnet) reduces body roll in cornering. The auto box is electronic and switchable to sport mode (hangs out in gear longer), in low ratio the same button will lock the transmission in gear. They are Disco 1 and Disco 2. Here is a good place to start for info:

Hope this helps.

Martin

Reply to
MudMuppet

Aye, under the bonnet on a TD5 is a mass of black plastic covers, apart from near the turbo...

Not all have air suspension, it was required under type approval for the 7 seat but not the 5. It's only at the rear as well. Can lift the back end about 2" at the push of a button at low road speeds (automagically drops if you go too fast). There is an (expensive) optional fob that allows you to remotely lower the rear 2" as well.

TC can be a PITA as you don't have manual diff lock. I think you need to moving and have a wheel spinning before the TC kicks in. I know I couldn't get onto the back of low loader as a wheel would spin but the TC wouldn't kick in and I didn't fancy giving it some welly with only about 15' in front before the cab of the LL and a 6' drop off the sides just a few inches from the wheels...

HDC is fun if a little quick, always assuming you can find a hill steep enough to require it. It will only work in LR and it has to be a pretty steep hill for the car to run away in LR 1st...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

"required under type approval" - read as: Land Rover only submitted the air suspended 7 seater for type approval.

Reply to
Dougal

Which means it is required under type approval.

As Dave said.

Reply to
Rich B