'91 318is Rough start

Sometimes when I start the car it idles up to about 1200RPM, and then slowly comes dow to about 1k where it seems to run, but most of the time it struggles around 500-800 RPM until it has run for 15 or thirty seconds,
occasionally stalling. If anyone could help me out with what to look at, i would be grateful. Thanks
Matt

My first ideas would be a vacuum leak or sticking idle control valve.