bmw e36 m3 sunroof stuck open

Hello,
I have tried to follow the emergency closing procedure, however, as i torque the hex key provided in the tool kit in the luggage compartment,
it appears that if i apply any more torque, i am going to break the hex key. Should I just use a more heavy duty hex key? Or are there any other procedures that I should look into first??
Thanks ~Dave
That only works when the motor, or the electircs, is(are) the problem. If the mechanicals are the issue, then the hand crank is worhtless.

So basically i'm going to have to take it either to the dealer or a decent import shop because i can't find a lot of information about troubleshooting this repair. I have a feeling this will be expensive :-(
I replaced much of the mechanism in my sunroof for something on the order of $150 (USD). It wasn't all that tough to do, but I made ugly fingerprints on the headliner that I wish I hadn't made.
There is a great resource from Robert Bentley Publishers that covers many of the repair activities on your car, but the sunroof isn't among them. Somebody posted a website for me that gave me lots of insight on the internal workings of my roof. I don't have the site handy, but perhaps the guy that posted it for me can post it again for you.

Many thanks to all who replied...... :-)
Doug hit the issue 100% I bought some craftsman hex keys and really cranked on it and i managed to get the sunroof to move a touch...... then tried to closed it via the switch and sure enough it worked!!!
I got very lucky, as it didn't rain for a whole week here in Michigan while it was stuck open!
thanks again :)
dave wrote:

Dave,
I had the same problem when the limit switch got confused and the sunroof stuck fully open.
I too, grew concerned I was going to break off the key, but I simply grabbed it closer to where it connects to the motor and turned the key as best I could.
In my case, all I had to do was move it about an inch forward and then push the button to close it (in other words, the motor itself was fine). It continues to work to this day (including one-touch open), but I have to make sure I don't press the button just as it reaches full open or I'll have to get the key.
FYI, if the roof is REALLY hard to close or makes a rattling noise as it moves, it's likely because the tracks require cleaning and lube. Use some WD-40 (sparingly), q-tips and towels to clean out the tracks, then lube with some ZEP-45 (teflon based lube) and lithium grease.
-Doug
-------------------- Doug Vetter, ATP/CFI snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com http://www.dvatp.com --------------------