Brakes too good.

Thanks. I weas going to say that but decided I would be wasting my breath on such an experienced driver... ;-)

Reply to
Fred W

Getting to the main point above, what are you using for pads and rotors? I have found that there can be a great deal of variation depending on what kind of rotors and pads are installed. Some tend to be much grabbier than others...

Reply to
Fred W

Not at all. We can all learn from others, but I object to snide patronising comments from those who have no idea of my driving experience. Apparently some posters can't accept that others might have a different opinion, and feel the need to denigrate them in some way. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Calipers have pads, drums shoes. And saying they were smaller in area than the main pads only confirmed that's what was meant - to me at least. Cars with separate handbrake calipers often do have smaller pads than the main brakes.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Do you want comfort or effective braking? Wait; let me guess ... you have an automatic, don't you?

Then there should be no problem. Get it out from under your right knee and put it where it should be.

It is not outside the realm of possibility. As a BMW club driving instructor, I see some truly ridiculous seating positions.

It's not snide. That implies malice. I intend no malice. That makes it glib.

Insurance companies have no clue whether you're a good driver. They only know whether you've hit anything lately - or reported what you did hit to them. There are some stunningly bad drivers who have managed to avoid such incidents. [Apparently, there is a God.] During most of the 16 years to which you refer, I've been teaching others how to drive at high speeds as well as in competition. I resolve problems like yours all the time. Of course, you need to get over blaming it all on the car and accept that your technique might need some changing.

If you are trying to modulate an overboosted brake with light pressure, you don't want to use the ball of your foot. You want to use the toe - with your heel braced on the floor.

-- C=2ER. Krieger (Been there; done that)

Reply to
E28 Guy©

I do not know of any BMWs that had seperate calipers for the parking brake. AFAIK they all have drums in the rear disk. At least since the advent of rear disk brakes... ;-)

Reply to
Fred W

Do you want comfort or effective braking? Wait; let me guess ... you have an automatic, don't you?

What has being an automatic got to do with whether or not I'm comfortable with the braking. I've also got a Celica GT4 turbo, or Alltrack as they call them in the US. The weighting on it's brakes is just about right compared to the E39, but if you refer to my OP you might notice I wrote that apart from the lightness of them, the brakes were fine.

Then there should be no problem. Get it out from under your right knee and put it where it should be.

Again. Read my OP.

It is not outside the realm of possibility. As a BMW club driving instructor, I see some truly ridiculous seating positions.

It's not snide. That implies malice. I intend no malice. That makes it glib.

I suggest you look up the meaning of snide. Insinuating, or slyly derogatory. Your comment qualifies on both counts.

Insurance companies have no clue whether you're a good driver. They only know whether you've hit anything lately - or reported what you did hit to them. There are some stunningly bad drivers who have managed to avoid such incidents.

Agreed. But my point remains. You're making an assumption based on no evidence whatsover of my competence on the road. I have no problem with driving the car. Look again at my OP.

[Apparently, there is a God.] During most of the 16 years to which you refer, I've been teaching others how to drive at high speeds as well as in competition. I resolve problems like yours all the time. Of course, you need to get over blaming it all on the car and accept that your technique might need some changing.

That comment is patronising to say the least. My problem as you put it, does not interfere with my ability to drive the car. If I think the brakes are too light, that is an opinion. They are light compared to other cars I've owned or driven, and lighter than I'd prefer. How can anyone dispute someones personal preferences? They might have a different opinion, but does that mean it's better? As far as the individual is concerned?

I would suggest that all drivers have what they consider to be ideal weighting for brakes and steering. Steering feel, feedback etc. In that respect I'm no different to anyone else.

If you are trying to modulate an overboosted brake with light pressure, you don't want to use the ball of your foot. You want to use the toe - with your heel braced on the floor.

All this started with a simple question, basically just asking if a light brake was normal for an E39. So far no one has answered it. Instead I have had replies telling me to use my left foot, which I do anyway, whatever car I'm driving, and others inferring I don't know how to adjust the seat, or drive properly. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Instead of bitching back and forth here, Change your disks and pads for some HIGH quality OEM or similar equipment AND FLUSH the system properly..... it could be old fluid that is half cooked, has air or whatever...

I agree with E28Guy, small changes to your position of seat or feet could also be the issue... he has the proper experience to offer advice... I would listen.

Reply to
SharkmanBMW!

I'm not bitching, I just don't like being patronised by those replying to unasked questions, without answering the question that was asked. And if you were following the thread, you'd have noticed that I do intend to replace the discs and pads all round.

Gordon Bennet!.How will any of that alter the pedal weighting? They are very light compared to an E34 which I also own.

he has the proper experience to offer advice... I would

When he tells me something I don't already know, I will.

Anyway, despite all the obvious advice about a good seating position and the use of my left foot for support, bla, bla etc, one poster has answered my question. Which is that the weighting on E39 brakes, should be similar to the weighting of the brakes on my E34. Hopefully when I fit new discs and pads all round, that will indeed be the case. And if you're not going to answer the points I made, you might at least snip them from your reply. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

I'm afraid that is one of the risks you run when posting to usenet. Just ignore what offends you.

Reply to
Jeremy

Nonsense. Several E39 owners have told you that yes, this car has powerful brakes. Several others (including me) have said you can make them less so with a different choice of rotors and pads.

And you have ignored all of these suggestions as well as the others above, no doubt. They are all constructive comments.

Reply to
Fred W

Maybe it will help keep you ass in the seat where it belongs instead of sliding forward onto the brake pedal?

Reply to
Fred W

Why do you find it so difficult to understand that all I wanted was an answer to whether a lightly weighted brake pedal was common with E39's. I didn't need or want advice on how to stay in the seat. If you read my OP, you might notice :- Quote. "unless I brace myself with my left foot, I slide forward in the seat" Unnquote. So why do you and others feel the need to advise me to do something I'm already doing? Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Really. Tell me where? And since when has the power of brakes been related to pedal weighting?

Several others (including me) have said you can make

Several? And if you care to read my reply to Dave Plowman, you'll see I said I intended to replace all the discs and pads, 'before' it was suggested by you or anyone else. Do you actually read previous replies in a thread before you post?

Hardly constructive if the recipient is already doing, or has done, what has been suggested. It was all there to be read in my earlier posts. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Maybe it's because you gave your question a really stupid title -- "Brakes Too Good"?

-- Larry

Reply to
pltrgyst

I'll give you that. Maybe it was a bit ambiguous, but there was no ambiguity in the body of my post. That was clear enough. Mike

Reply to
Mike G

I swapped from an E34 six to an E39 six - same as Mike - and I can't say I noticed any difference. Both cars were on OEM discs and pads, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

How light the pedal is at normal speeds has little to do with how powerful the brakes are - I had a Vauxhall with servo drums which had stupidly light brakes which faded to nothing if you tried to stop from speed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've got a great idea for you Mike. Fuck off and die.

Reply to
Fred W

The last refuge of those who run out of logical argument. Abuse. And if you do decide to reply to any of my future posts, please make sure you understand them first. There's a good fellow. Have a nice day. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G