Brakes too good.

Page 2 of 3

I'm not bitching, I just don't like being patronised by those replying to unasked questions, without answering the question that was asked. And if you were following the thread, you'd have noticed that I do intend to replace the discs and pads all round.

Gordon Bennet!.How will any of that alter the pedal weighting? They are very light compared to an E34 which I also own.
he has the proper experience to offer advice... I would

When he tells me something I don't already know, I will.
Anyway, despite all the obvious advice about a good seating position and the use of my left foot for support, bla, bla etc, one poster has answered my question. Which is that the weighting on E39 brakes, should be similar to the weighting of the brakes on my E34. Hopefully when I fit new discs and pads all round, that will indeed be the case. And if you're not going to answer the points I made, you might at least snip them from your reply. Mike.
says...

I'm afraid that is one of the risks you run when posting to usenet. Just ignore what offends you.
--

jeremy
['01 BMW 530iA SE Touring]
Mike G wrote:

Maybe it will help keep you ass in the seat where it belongs instead of sliding forward onto the brake pedal?
--
-Fred W

Why do you find it so difficult to understand that all I wanted was an answer to whether a lightly weighted brake pedal was common with E39's. I didn't need or want advice on how to stay in the seat. If you read my OP, you might notice :- Quote. "unless I brace myself with my left foot, I slide forward in the seat" Unnquote. So why do you and others feel the need to advise me to do something I'm already doing? Mike.

Maybe it's because you gave your question a really stupid title -- "Brakes Too Good"?
-- Larry

I'll give you that. Maybe it was a bit ambiguous, but there was no ambiguity in the body of my post. That was clear enough. Mike
Mike G wrote:

Nonsense. Several E39 owners have told you that yes, this car has powerful brakes. Several others (including me) have said you can make them less so with a different choice of rotors and pads.

And you have ignored all of these suggestions as well as the others above, no doubt. They are all constructive comments.
--
-Fred W

Really. Tell me where? And since when has the power of brakes been related to pedal weighting?
Several others (including me) have said you can make

Several? And if you care to read my reply to Dave Plowman, you'll see I said I intended to replace all the discs and pads, 'before' it was suggested by you or anyone else. Do you actually read previous replies in a thread before you post?

Hardly constructive if the recipient is already doing, or has done, what has been suggested. It was all there to be read in my earlier posts. Mike.
Mike G wrote:

I've got a great idea for you Mike. Fuck off and die.
--
-Fred W

The last refuge of those who run out of logical argument. Abuse. And if you do decide to reply to any of my future posts, please make sure you understand them first. There's a good fellow. Have a nice day. Mike.

Fred's a bit into the malt tonight.
I wonder if will introduce "Nazi" into the conversation later in the evening. That should end the thread...
DAS
<spammers snipped-for-privacy@pandora.orbl.org> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

I swapped from an E34 six to an E39 six - same as Mike - and I can't say I noticed any difference. Both cars were on OEM discs and pads, though.
--
*Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

How light the pedal is at normal speeds has little to do with how powerful the brakes are - I had a Vauxhall with servo drums which had stupidly light brakes which faded to nothing if you tried to stop from speed.
--
*Aim Low, Reach Your Goals, Avoid Disappointment *

E28 Guy wrote:

Thanks. I weas going to say that but decided I would be wasting my breath on such an experienced driver... ;-)
--
-Fred W

Not at all. We can all learn from others, but I object to snide patronising comments from those who have no idea of my driving experience. Apparently some posters can't accept that others might have a different opinion, and feel the need to denigrate them in some way. Mike.

I'd suggest you have another look.
--
*24 hours in a day ... 24 beers in a case ... coincidence? *

And they are closer to the axle (center of the circle), so they require greater force to accomplish the same work.

A drum brake of that diameter is perfectly capable of working well as a hand brake. And does on other models. But not the E39. As Mike G says the same size brake works ok on an E34 - and you imply on a 3 Series. FWIW I've driven other examples of the E39 and they're as bad. It is hopeless for hill starts on a manual.
I will be changing all the discs and pads on my E39 shortly and may investigate further, but when I first got the car I checked it thoroughly and adjusted it correctly - which it wasn't as supplied by a main dealer, with a stuck adjuster in one drum and the cables set incorrectly.
Just to confirm how poor it is if you're facing downwards on a slight hill and still in drive it won't hold the car stationary.
--
*A hangover is the wrath of grapes.

Calipers have pads, drums shoes. And saying they were smaller in area than the main pads only confirmed that's what was meant - to me at least. Cars with separate handbrake calipers often do have smaller pads than the main brakes.
--
*How many roads must a man travel down before he admits he is lost? *