Central locking problem / question

Page 1 of 2  
I have a 1995 BMW 318Ti and I need advise. My hatch will lock the doors but not unlock them. And my doors will not lock or unlock the hatch. Any ideas?

Thank you in advance to any and all suggestions.
Glenn
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
All of the locks on the car are operated through a mechanical action when they are operated locally (with the key). The key turns the lock and the latch is locked or unlocked. The lock mechanism strikes a switch depending on which way you twist the key. By your description, your doors work properly -- the other door locks or unlocks, as the case may be.
Operating the other locks remotely is an electrical action. The key turns the lock, which strikes a switch to operate the remaining locks. By your description, both doors will lock or unlock the other door but never operate the hatch, and the hatch will operate the doors for one operation but not the other.
My guess is, the hatch solenoid is not working because neither door will operate the hatch lock, and the hatch lock has one of two switches with a sticky linkage that affects the switch operation. A malfunctioning hatch lock will cause the doors to lock but not unlock, or vice versa. And the malfunctioning solenoid in the hatch will cause the hatch lock to not respond to the door locks. All of your problems are in the hatch.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Had similar problem on a Rover and it turned out to be a copper contact inside the lock itself that had got bent out of shape and would not register if the lock was "there" to be locked or opened or what the state was - open or locked. I simply bent it back and never had a problem with it for a further 3 years.
Just a thought. or the wires going to the lock solenoid could be broken or disconnected?
--

Sir Hugh of Bognor

The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys.
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it. It looks like the answer is in my hatch and likely the locking mechanism.
Cheers!
Glenn
snipped-for-privacy@h-gee.co.uk wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Thank you VERY much for the help. Now I know where to look. I can skin the hatch door myself and see if I can't "see" the problem or just change out the offending parts.
Thanks again
Glenn

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Probably a fault.

Hatch door is deadlocked and so will not open with other doors (correct operation). Turn lock to normal.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

There's a good call.
I forgot to mention that the hatch (trunk lid or boot on a sedan or coupe) can be locked so that it does not respond to the door locks. If the hatch lock is horizontal, then the hatch will lock and unlock with the doors, if the hatch lock is vertical, then it will operate by input from the doors.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
I know about the horizontal position as I now have to use it to keep it locked. I want it back to normal where it changes state with the door locks.
Thanks again.
Glenn

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Jeff Strickland wrote:

Ah - so you CAN bottom post - well done old chap!
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Of course I can bottom post, but my news reader defaults to posting on top, and when one can read the entire original post and my reply all in one screen, I see no reason to even care about top posting. I am a rude son of a bitch though, and it bothers me not to suggest that you are far too anal. Try posting something that is relevant, and I might change my position -- but I doubt it.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Jeff Strickland wrote:

Hmm - so why use Outlook express then - it is crap anyway Anyway, so while contained on one screen it is OK - but then it expands beyond that (yep - you may actually contribute something interesting yourself that promulgates further comment). What happens then - when the thread is all over the place?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Well, when that happens, the common ettiquite is to continue posting the same way as everybody else, even if you think everybody else is wrong.
And, why get on my case because I use OE? It makes far more sense to get on you for being anal retentive.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Think there's a free app called Quotefix which fixes that fault and several others on OE.

You like to read the answer before the question? Do you write a letter like that? Or talk?

Why are people who use OE so touchy?
--
*Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you? *

Dave Plowman snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk London SW
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Almost by definition, they are idiots. And Jeffy sure ain't the exception.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I read the post, then click Reply and start typing. I am blessed with a small amount of retention, and I can remember most of what I read and Reply without having to read it all over again. I don't need to read the post AFTER I click Reply because I read it before ...
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

But you're not quoting posts for yourself only - it's for others to follow your points without referring back...
--
*The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese *

Dave Plowman snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk London SW
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

That assumes others are not getting the same posts I am getting. My assumption is that everybody gets the same posts, and if ALL REPLIES are either top posted or bottom posted, following along is easy. When the Replies are mixed top and bottom, then it gets very ugly very fast.
Personally, I don't care if the Replies are top posted or bottom posted, as long as all Replies are the same in any given thread. I can follow the pattern, and if you can't then maybe Usenet is not a place you should be visiting.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Not everybody gets the same posts you are getting, and they don't get them in the same order or with with same sequence numbers. There are 70,000 Usenet servers around the world and they are all configured a little differently and all get their feed a little differently.
Top-posting is generally considered rude, in part because it was introduced by AOL bozos when AOL joined Usenet, but in part because it discourages proper trimming of replies. Remember that Usenet was developed in a world where bandwidth was much more expensive than it is today, and most of the Usenet traditions reflect that. --scott
--
"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Which isn't the case. Different news suppliers sometimes don't always send in the same order. And some may join a thread after the start. If you assume *everyone* is conversant with the previous posts and gets everything in the correct order quoting simply becomes a waste of time.

Two points. As I said if you need to refer to the previous stuff most read from top to bottom. In English, certainly. And if you wish to interleave points as I'm doing then there can only be one way of posting - ie old at the top new at the bottom.

Well, I've been around since it was a relatively slow and expensive medium. And the entire world still doesn't get free fast connections. The fact is MS chose to break the bottom posting convention with their newsreader - and I've no real idea why. Other than like in so much not really understanding or caring how their customers use things. It makes sense to top post for personal emails - after all you can assume the person reading it knows the previous content of your correspondence - and including a copy is just a courtesy, or can be omitted anyway. News groups ain't the same thing.
--
*Lottery: A tax on people who are bad at math.

Dave Plowman snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk London SW
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Jeff Strickland wrote:

Stupid, and ignorant, too.
How old is the Earth, again, Jeffy? Something around 10,000 years, you say?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    Motorsforum.com is a website by car enthusiasts for car enthusiasts. It is not affiliated with any of the car or spare part manufacturers or car dealers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.